libwww 5.0 released to W3C members

Version 5.0 of libwww is now available to W3C members. It will become publicly available October 10, 1996. In the mean time you can get it from

	http://www.w3.org/member/WWW/Library/

This release was originally called 4.1 but because we now have a complete HTTP/1.1 client side implementation including a persistent cache manager and full support for uploading documents, we decided to call it version 5.0 instead.

The focus for version 5.0 of the W3C Reference Library is to provide a set of higher level, application specific APIs for accessing the Web. The Library contains a significantly improved interface for easy access to the Web through a large set of functions specialized to perform certain Web operations like PUT, POST, DELETE, GET and HEAD. The Library also includes a set of profiles that helps the application, a Web client for example, to more easily use the full potential of the application independent Library core.

It supports HTTP/1.1 including persistent connections, two-way PUT, the host header and many other features. This release contains a TCL add-on to the Robot example application and a beta version of a Deja GNU Test suite for the Library. There is also a sample PEP implementation, that although incomplete can give an idea of where we're headed using PEP.

Major new features:

	- Full HTTP/1.1 reference implementation
	- Persistent cache manager
	- Full support for PUT and POST
	- Application profiles for easier setup
	- Many new access methods for using libwww
	- Simple Tcl interface
	- Configuration based on autoconf

A complete set of release notes is available from

	http://www.w3.org/member/WWW/Library/User/ReleaseNotes.html

The release has been tested on Digital Unix, Solaris, Linux, and Windows NT.

Comments are welcome!

Henrik, Eric, Manoli, Alex, and Xing

World Wide Web Consortium, MIT/LCS NE43-356