Re: libwww contributions

Alec H. Peterson wrote:

> On Nov 28, 2005, at 7:01, Vic Bancroft wrote:
>
>> There are at least two outstanding sets of modifications, for  which
>> we have not received patches.  The first is usage of the new
>> function in HTFile to address the potential buffer overflow as
>> discussed by Ben.  The second is the set of changes as volunteered
>> by Alec.
>
> Wow, that was a while ago :-)

Ya, the wheels of change sometimes turn with glacial speed !

It would be nice to have these changes as the starting point for some
functionality improvements to make a minor version release (5.5.0) . . .

Though, given Arthur's experience with the tip of the trunk, we will
likely want to improve our coordination for cross platform compile and
sanity test runs.  Testing on a crusty netbsd machine,  the build fails
with the following,

    WARNING: `automake-1.9' is needed, and you do not seem to have it
    handy on your
                           system.  You might have modified some files
    without having the
                           proper tools for further handling them.
    Check the `README' file,
                           it often tells you about the needed
    prerequirements for installing
                           this package.  You may also peek at any GNU
    archive site, in case
                           some other package would contain this missing
    `automake-1.9' program.

> If there is interest I'll gladly send in the changes I made, just let
> me know.

Most certainly, if you can send diffs relative to the current CVS, that
would be nice.  With the stability of the codebase, it is likely that
this will work.  However, if there are conflicts, we may need to diff
with whatever version on which you had based the changes and consider
the most appropriate way to bring them forward.

more,
l8r,

"The future is here. It's just not evenly distributed yet."
 -- William Gibson, quoted by Whitfield Diffie