Re: Moving to C++...curiosity

Fox One wrote:

> I hope that this never happens. C++ has many serious
> problems,

That is certainly the case, particularly in navigating the difference
between various vendor's version of the Standard Template Library
(STL).  However there is some merit to exposing the libwww functionality
in a c++ friendly manner.

> A move of libwww to C++ would mean that a much smaller
> number of people would be able to follow the Library's
> development;

Now if the question had been about moving the codebase to something like
scheme, forth, or ada even, perhaps this would be justified.  However,
there is a fairly large population of c++ programmers and the
GNU support for c++ is strong.  In fact some recent work done by Laurent
Oget using iostream and maps would indicate that the GNU 32 bit
executables are 4 to 5 times faster than 64 bit executables produced
using SUN's workshop compiler !!!

> --- Asif Momin <asif@teknema.com> wrote:
>
> > There was an effort in Mar 1999 to move libwww to c++,
> > but there have been no updates regarding this issue.

There are many places in the header files that could use a bit of the
'extern c' decorations . . .

> > I  am curious to know  the status  of the work going on in this
> > direction. Please update me about this.

The current code base is quite object oriented without taking the hit of
a c++ compile environment.  If someone were to take the time, it would
be fairly straightforward to create c++ wrappers to provide a more
natural way to use this function from that world.

more,
l8r,