Re: Unreasonable POST delay on Win32?

I believe I have found the answer to my own question, but was wondering
if the libwww gurus have any additional information.

After analyzing the log file of a POST, I noticed this entry:

"Uploading... Holding 0088F220 for 2000 ms using time 00891D30"

Hmm. A two second timer... As in my initial email, it seemed like my
programs were pausing for two seconds.

After a quick search, I found the above trace message in HTTP.c. The
2000 ms delay is hard-coded via this code:

/* How long to wait before writing the body in PUT and POST requests */
#define DEFAULT_FIRST_WRITE_DELAY	2000
#define DEFAULT_SECOND_WRITE_DELAY	3000
#define DEFAULT_REPEAT_WRITE		30

So, the two second delay I was experiencing is hard-coded directly into
libwww.

My question to the gurus is why? What is this 2000 ms delay used for?
Is it critical? Naturally, to solve my problem, I experimented with
values as low as 20. My program now executes very quickly, as desired.
But will there be side-effects as a result of my tinkering?

I would appreciate hearing from anyone with some insight into the above
"magic" constants.

--Steven Gray