Re: Porting to RTOS

Glenn Serre wrote:

> Good morning,
>
> I am about to start porting (parts of) libwww to an RTOS (Pie OS).
> Anyone have any hints before I get started?  Can anyone point me to
> examples of how to get autoconf, etc. to work in cross-compiling
> enviroments?

Hi Glenn,

I recently ported libwww to pSOS, another RTOS. However, I didn't use
autoconf or any of the existing makefiles. I found it easier to take a
makefile from another pSOS project and start adding the modules a few
at a time doing a compile each time to make sure it worked. Also, as
pSOS had (some) non-standard include files I had to manually go
through wwwconf.h and wwwsys.h adding and removing individual entries.

If you wanted, you could probably go through 'configure' and try to
hack that to support your dev tools, but I didn't feel that the time
it would have required was worth it (I don't have any plans to use
updated versions of libwww so the fact that I have "diverted" from the
development path doesn't bother me).

Aside from that, the only other major problem I had was working around
the fact that, unlike Unix, pSOS doesn't connect console input to a
socket, therefore the event loop can't be used to poll for input. If
you want more info on how I got round this then let me know.

Basically, if your RTOS is Unix-like then you shouldn't have any
insurmountable problems getting libwww to work but if it's completely
non-standard then you could have a lot of work changing function names
etc.!

Cheers,

Neil

--
Neil Stewart                |      Cadence Design Systems Ltd
Consulting Engineer         |                   1 Bell Square