Re: Multi-connection HTTP/FTP?

>At 10:24 03/07/1999 -0400, Larry Coffin wrote:
>>
>>	I'm trying to develop a tool for simulating multiple HTTP and FTP
>>clients to a server and was looking at libwww for this purpose. But from
>>what I can tell, it does not create multiple connections to the same client
>>-- at least not with mget.
>
>When using HTTP/1.1, it's actually often faster to use a single connection
>instead of multiple connections - especially if you are downloading several
>pages from the same site. You can look at this paper for some more details:

	Yes, but that is not what I am trying to do -- I'm trying to
simulate multiple clients connecting to the server to see how it performs
under various load conditions. But I was actually able to do what I wanted
by writing very simple HTTP/FTP clients that just do the basics needed to
open the connections and download a specific file. Using pthreads I was
able to open multiple simultaneous connections from the same program.

	Thanks,

	---Larry

  Larry Coffin                                lcoffin@PointInfinity.com
  Point Infinity                           http://www.PointInfinity.com
  Nantucket, Massachusetts                 508-325-6677 * fax: 325-6676

"Adopted kids are such a pain -- you have to teach them how to look
like you ..."
		-- Gilda Radner

-