Re: Updated documentation on the various libwww packages and modules

At 18:57 3/30/99 -0800, Raffaele Sena wrote:

>with the latest update I get undefined symbols for
>HTProfile_newNoCacheClient and HTProfile_delete.
>I also tried to rebuild WinCom.exe and get the same errors :(

I found that I had to change the MSVC dependencies under
<project>/<dependencies> menu by hand from wwwapp to wwwinit in order to
make it link correctly. After doing that I don't have any problems - theis
should be done in the MSVC make files that I uploaded yesterday

	http://www.w3.org/INSTALL.html

>I'm now moving HTInit.c and HTProfil.c from .../windows/wwwinit.files into
>.../windows/wwwapp.files
>and I think that will fix it.

The reason why I moved the profile stuff out of the app package was that
profiles uses the whole of libwww - they basically set up all features.
However, there are situations where it is nice to be able to use the
features of the app package without including the whole library.

>-- Raffaele
>
>p.s. there is any way you can leave a makefile option to still be able to
>build a single
>    library instead of many tiny ones ? I'm using most of the stuff and I
>find it quite
>    annoying on Windows having to deal with so many files, and I would
>really like to
>    avoid it at least on Unix.

The reason for this experiment is that some people around here have been
complaining that they think libwww is getting too big and would like seeing
it split up. However, it is not clear to me that this is the best way to
proceed and I would certainly like to get input from you guys.

PS: I have told the people around here to send their thoughts to this list
as this is the authoritative place for all libwww discussions. Libwww is
truly OSS meaning that we work by rough consensus.

>p.p.s. I'm also trying to clean up HTMPDTD.* from all the never used tags
>(H7, HTMLPLUS, etc.)
>    and make it more HTML4.0 compliant. Would you integrate these changes
>when I'm done ?

Most certainly - I appreciate it very much!

Henrik
--
Henrik Frystyk Nielsen,
World Wide Web Consortium