Re: Multiply requests share one socket

At 15:11 1/15/99 EST, Mikhail Grouchinski wrote:

>I found that libwww opens only one connection to www server.

This is a feature!

Believe me - you can run a lot faster on a single TCP connection than on
lots of small  ones, see our paper at

	http://www.w3.org/Protocols/HTTP/Performance/Pipeline.html

linked from

	http://www.w3.org/Protocols/HTTP/Performance/

>I set HTNet_maxSocket to 100 then I create 100 requests to the same host
>and check the response time.
>
>The response time increases proportionally to the request's number.
>Using WWWTRACE flag I can see that all other requests except one
>are always pending and one is always in pipe

However, it requires that you are running an HTTP/1.1 server on the other
end that is good at handling pipelining - Apache, for example, is very
good. Then you will be able to see performance figures like these:

	http://www.w3.org/Protocols/HTTP/Performance/LAN/

If you are not running against an HTTP/1.1 server then you are only gonna
get one request at a time.

Henrik
--
Henrik Frystyk Nielsen,