Re: Reading from a local file

Allen Comer wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm a newcomer so I apologize in advance if any of this has been covered
> previously.  I did search through the archives but couldn't find anything.
> I have two questions:
>
> * I'm trying to read from a local file.  I'm using the following sequence
> (with some obvious things omitted):
>
>         request = HTRequest_new();
>
>         anchor = HTAnchor_findAddress(uri);
>
>       status = HTLoadAnchor(anchor, request);
>
>         status = HTLoadFile(sock, request);
>
> My question is what is the meaning of 'sock' within the context of local
> file access?  how should I be initializing this parameter?

Try and use some of the sample applications at

	http://www.w3.org/Library/Examples/LoadToFile.c

linked from

	http://www.w3.org/Library/Examples/#GET

For this particular sample app you must use a file: URI - it can't jsut
be a file name. The command line tool handles relative file names as
well.

> * Secondly, is it always necessary, or advantageous, to use 'HTAnchor'
> objects?

Anchor objects are neat when you want to know (and remember) things
about URIs and the contents behind them.

World Wide Web Consortium, MIT/LCS NE43-356