Re: line mode browser and expat

Rick Kwan wrote:

> I guess I should admit that I'm working on the line mode browser.
> (It's got a whole lot more components that I remember in 5.1b. :-)

:)

> I'm using the 5.2.6 tarball as a baseline, but keeping a separate
> directory updated with CVS.  The problems below have to do with my
> Linux build.  (I will later have to do it on Windows NT.)
>
> So far I've made small changes to a lot of the files in
> .../LineMode/src  just to get it to compile.  I have no callbacks
> in place; so nothing really functions yet.

Sounds like a good start, though.

> I've also wised up and have rebuilt the libwww codebase with
>     sh ./configure --disable-shared
> When I do this, the expat code fails to link.  I get the set of
> messages below (with abs pathnames slightly edited).
>
> Here are my questions:
>
>     1.  Isn't there an easy way to optionally compile/link with the
>         expat code, and conversely turn it off?  I thought there
>         was, but I can't find it.

In the latest patches that I committed yesterday (I just sent out a note
now [1]), you should be able to avoid compiling expat completely by
using this option with configure:

	--with-expat=no

See [2] for more details. let me know if this doesn't work as expected.

>     2.  Assume that I do want to link with expat, why am I getting
>         these messages?  If I go to
>             w3c-libwww-5.2.6/modules/expat/xmltok/.libs
>         and perform
>             nm libxmltok.a | grep T
>         I do see entries like
>             00001048 T XmlPrologStateInit
>             0000ae64 T XmlUtf8Encode
>         which means the unresolved routines do exist.  Is something
>         wrong with my make (which was autogenerated)?

I found that I had to change the order in which the libraries are linked
- apparently the dependencies are picked out backwards. The new line
mode browser makefile [3] should take this into account - please try it
out:

Henrik

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-lib/1999AprJun/0046.html
[2] http://www.w3.org/INSTALL.html#Unix
[3]
http://dev.w3.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb/libwww/LineMode/src/Makefile.am#rev1.28

World Wide Web Consortium, MIT/LCS NE43-356