Re: [Re: libwww and HTTP1.0]

Hello Henrik,

That's a pity. My application works with only one host all the time.
Limiting connections to 1 to a one host disables concurrent requests
processing with HTTP/1.0 servers. I wish I could change libwww to
provide a user with option to open several connections to a host.
Could you, please, point some directions in libwww source where this
should be done.

Mikhail Grouchinski

Henrik Frystyk Nielsen <frystyk@w3.org> wrote:
At 18:02 3/26/99 -0800, Andrew Wong wrote:

>Anybody succeed to open several simultaneous connections to a host using
>www-lib??? It seems that all the non-blocking connections openned to a host
>are actually handled *sequentially* (I've tried all HTTP_setConnectionMode
>types). i.e. blocking after all.
>
>Is that concurrency only available for connecting to multiple hosts???
>
>I want stress test a server application, therefore I want to open many
>connections to generate a lot load. Is this possible with www-lib or
>should I look somewhere else? And how's the progress of making www-lib
>thread safe?

Libwww goes through a lot of efforts to cut down on the number of TCP
connections and really only allows a single TCP connection at a time to a
specific host, port.

When I want to stress test a server, I start multiple libwww robots and
point them at the same site - this puts a lot of load on the server and can
show how the server handles pipelined requests and not only how fast it can
swap contexts.

The HTTP/1.0 mode doesn't force multiple connections to open, it still uses
a single connection at a time.

Henrik
--
Henrik Frystyk Nielsen,