Re: NT <-> Unix slow

Henrik Frystyk Nielsen wrote:

> At 22:04 02/17/98 -0600, Kent Vander Velden wrote:
> >
> >  I have noticed that when running Apache on NT transferring files to
> >another NT machine is somewhere around 20x faster than transferring
> >to a Unix machine using libwww.  Transferring between two Unix machines
> >is a reasonable rate but NT to Unix is really bad.  All machines are
> >on the same wire.  Is there something with libwww that it does not like
> >to talk with NT servers?
>
> Hmm, that's interesting - the difference in performance may be in the TCP
> stacks as well as in libwww itself. What Unix are you running?

  NT 4.0 Server and SGI Irix 5.3 and 6.2 and HPUX 9.07 are the ones that
have tried so far.  Since I also see this problem with Netscape it
must be something with the stack.  NT <-> Unix trasfers seem to max out
around 100k/s and generally are ~40k/s.  Unix <-> Unix and NT <-> NT
transfer generally are at >500k/s and often ~900k/s.

> Also, do you have some TCP dumps of what is going on? As they are all on
> the same wire, it should be easy to use tcpdump to capture the transfers.
> Make sure that you are running the latest version of tcpdump - you can find
> it linked from

  I will get a few dumps of the network when I get to work and make
them available via ftp this evening.

  Thanks!