Re: SGML/HTML parser

Jiang Tao writes:

> It seems to me that we only need one SGML parser or
> HTML parser in our web application, so why are there
> both SGML parser and HTML parser in W3C lib?

As has been mentioned, the SGML parser in the Library is not a SGML parser -
it's more a tokenizer that identifies SGML tags and then sends them off to the
HTML parser that has a DTD connected to it. However, before the tags are sent
to the HTML parser they are enumerated by the SGML tokenizer so it in fact
also uses the DTD. This means that the SGML module can be used with other DTDs
than the HTML one.