Re: wwwlib for Windows NT - does anybody have it working ?

Thijs Ott de Vries writes:
> I am using a little application that I found somewhere in these mail
> groups to make a WWW client on Windows NT (3.50), using libwww (DLL's).
> I got it working on a Sun and a SGI before, but on NT it crashes
> (strangely enough after it has successfully read the data via TCP sockets,
> in writing these data to a file, as I found when debugging).
>
> I tried to make sure that I do not have a user-access problem (running
> as administrator gives same problems and the file can surely be written).
>
> So, my questions:
> 1. Should this combination (not) work ?:
> - Libwww, version 4.0 Alpha 6
> - Visual C++ 2.0 compiler (MicroSoft)
> - Windows NT 3.50.

I suggest that you get the latest version from our FTP server. A couple of
days ago I uploaded a new distribution file where all the Library modules
except a very few initialization routines into DLLs. There are still problems
but it should be better. You can find it at

	http://www.w3.org/pub/WWW/Distribution.html

> 2. Which combination (including NT) do you have working ?

After I moved to 95, I have al sorts of problems. I don't know whether it is
msvc 4.0 or 95 or the combination...

> 2a.  Could you provide a little sample program with it ?

There are actually example programs in the Library distribution file. You can
find them at

	WWW/Library/Examples/

> Hereunder I include the test program, adapted from a program that
> Gunnar R?nning (thanks, Gunnar!) once put here.
> Any hints are welcome.
>
> Thijs Ott de Vries
> /*
> Original application by Gunnar R?nning - found as message 4094
> somewhere in these mailing groups.

The only mail archive I know about is

	http://asearch.mccmedia.com/www-lib.html

do you know of others?

> Works and compiles on Sun an SGI, but I get crashes on NT 3.50.
> In the debugger I can see that the last libWWW call - HTLoadAbsolute() -
> reads the data via the TCP port correctly, but then crashes in
> trying to fwrite() the data to file (in HTFWriter_write(), HTFWrite.c).
>
> I have used the following:
> - LibWWW Version 4, Alpha release 6. DLL's made according to
>   "Building Windows DLLs" spec (WWW_WIN_DLL, _WINDOWS, WWW_WIN_ASYNC).
>   I tried both with and without the _CONSOLE #define, same effect.
> - Visual C++ 2.0 compiler
> - Windows NT 3.50

We have also updated the "how to compile DLLs" page at

	http://www.w3.org/pub/WWW/Library/User/Platform/WinDLL.html

This may help you. Let me know whether you have problems with the latest
version!

PS: The program does look OK, it's very similar to the example program
libapp_3.c in the WWW/Library/Examples directory.

Thanks