Re: preemptive or preemtive ?

Jiang Tao writes:

> Who can tell me should it be preemptive or preemtive? And
> what is the EXACT meaning?

Alex Lian has told me that its preemptive with a "p".

The difference between preemptime and non-preemtive requests is whether you
use non-blocking sockets or not. When you register a protocol, for example
HTTP, you say what the default behavior should be. This is mostly a question
of how the protocol module is implemented as in order to support non-blocking
sockets you need to be able to keep state of where you are. This is described
in the User's guide at

	http://www.w3.org/pub/WWW/Library/User/Using/Methods.html

You can override the default behavior pr request by setting a specific flag
for not blocking sockets. This can be done by using the methods which is also
described in the user's guide:

	http://www.w3.org/pub/WWW/Library/User/Using/Request.html

Preemtive or Non-preemtive Access

A access scheme is defined with a default for using either preemtive (blocking
I/O) or non-premitve (non-blocking I/O). This is
basically a result of the implementation of the protocol module itself.
However, if non-blocking I/O is the default then some times it
is nice to be able to set the mode to blocking instead. For example when
can be used instead of non-blocking.

	extern void HTRequest_setPreemtive (HTRequest *request, BOOL mode);
	extern BOOL HTRequest_preemtive (HTRequest *request);