Re: Idea to reduce web traffic

On Thu, 5 Feb 2004, Clóvis Wichoski wrote:

> Hi, Yves, thanks for reply, I really wanted this, ;)
>
> ok, This is to be used just as a connector to /servlet, and, I tested all
> things with Jigsaw and for me the MirrorFrame works fine, but I have some
> doubts, that I explain follow:

Ok, if you can copy the static content on the server that's even better.
No need for virtual hosts (unless you want to serve different content, of
course).
In docs_space, remove /servlet and replace it by a FramedResource. Attach
the MirrorFrame on it, edit "mirror" and put
http://<servlet-server>/servlet/ and check "partial" (as you don't mirror
from the server root.

If you use a Virtual host, do the same, but like this:
<Virtual>
      |---<yourserver>
               |------ /servlet

> First how I configured the Mirror:
> In Docs space I added org.w3c.jigsaw.resources.VirtualHostResources.
>    (following the tutorial "How to setup virtual hosting in Jigsaw?" but
> on step 5 i added a org.w3c.tools.resources.FramedResource)
> On FramedResource I added the org.w3c.jigsaw.proxy.MirrorFrame then on
> MirrorFrame I added org.w3c.jigsaw.filters.CacheFilter.
>
> worked fine, but this is the best way to configure a mirror?

The cache filters acts like this:

[A] = org.w3c.jigsaw.filters.CacheFilter
[B] = org.w3c.www.protocol.http.cache.CacheFilter
browser ->  | [A] - Jigsaw server - [B] | -> <mirrored server>

I tend to prefer using [B] mainly for compliancy purposes.
Note also that a 2.2.4 version of Jigsaw will be out soon with improved
version of the client stack (used to fetch document on the mirrored
server).

> Another question, There is a way to have all static content copied in
> Jigsaw server, and the Mirror only forward /servlet or pages don't found
> in this directory, then I don't use CacheFilters?
> If yes I can develop a downloader that download updates of my site when
> needed. and remove the Cache Work.

See above.
Thanks,

--