Re: help with cache

On Sat, 19 Jan 2002, Stephane Nicoll wrote:

> Hello Christopher,
>
> Thanks for your help about filter. I have another question about the JigSaw
> cache. First of all, let me say that our user clear the browser cache and
> set it to null before proceeding with our software.
>
> My questions are as follows:
>
> 1) Is it possible in a filter to get the file that is being served? for
> instance in the outgoingFilters, get the file that is being requested.
> 2) If not, how can we retrieve something in the cache, based on the URL?
> 3) How does the cache stores dynamic file (such as
> www.site.com/search?q=toto&titi;jsessionId=1234564 )
>
> My problem is that I want to STORE everything the user browses ... (is for
> an e-learning tool). I think I'll be problems when no-cache header is
> activated ...

Do you want to log what has been accessed (in that case you have the
access log for that) or you want to get the content of what has been
browsed?
Jigsaw's cache has been designed as a separate component that may be
reused in a client, that makes things a little more complicated than a
normal server-side filter.

1/ there is no notion of file sent, just a notion of stream, however the
   file object may be put in the state of the request or reply and reused
   in the outgoing filter.

2/ there is an internal database, and it is serialized in XML on the disk,
   see org.w3c.www.protocol.http.cache.CacheStore, you can see the
   serialized generation in the cache directory Jigsaw/config/cache/,
   gen-*, the URI is the id of the resource and 'file' contains the actual
   stored entry.

3/ if you want to store dynamic files that shouldn't be cached per
   RFC2616, you will have to wite your own filter :)

--
Yves Lafon - W3C