Re: Content negotiation for index page

On Wed, 29 Mar 2000, Dennis Sosnoski wrote:

> Hmmm, setting Negotiable on the Root DirectoryResource and indexing
> .html files as content type text/html and .wml as text/vnd.wap.wml
> results in an HTTP 300 response, multiple choices, when accessed from
> either phone or regular browser. The regular browser displays the
> choices, while the phone browser just reports an HTTP error 300. Is
> there a way to have the server choose the content type without sending
> a choice list back with a 300 response?

Well, it depends on what the browser is sending. Typically, you will have
Accept: image/gif, image/x-xbitmap, image/jpeg, image/pjpeg, image/png,
*/*
sent by Netscape 4.7
and almost the same sent by IE,
as both content types will match */*, text/html should have a higher
quality factor than text/vnd.wap.wml
This way, text/html will get the priority.
Now the problem is, what is sent exactly by the wap browser.

> It looks like the web browser is specifying a list of Accept types
> starting with several image/ types and ending with */*, while the web
> phone browser is specifying a long list of application/ types followed
> by text/vnd.wap.wml and then */*. To make this work properly I'd need
> to return the html page as the default and only override it to send
> the wml page when text/vnd.wap.wml is specifically listed as an Accept
> type. Can I do this using configuration parameters, or do I need to
> use a servlet for the default page handling?

if text/vnd.wap.wml is sent, it should have priority over */* as it is an
exact match, hum.. it is not the case so I have to fix that...
And it was not using position to get the right one first...
With the version available later today (check for
http://jigsaw.w3.org/Devel/classes-2.0/20000330/ ), it should work.
Set the quality factor of text/vnd.wap.wml to be 0.99999 and it should
work as you expect.