Re: 504 error from proxy

On Thu, 23 Mar 2000, Niklas Wiberg wrote:

> Hi
>
> I use Jigsaw 2.0.4 as a proxy and it returns a 504 error when a client
> requests the URL:
> http://www.vcworld.com/viqtips/viqtips.dll?view?chat=se&days=3&level=0.phtml
> It works fine when requesting it directly (no proxy) from the client.
>
> I snooped the traffic and I suspect that Jigsaw is closing the
> connection before the server has delivered all the content. It seems as
> if the server delivers the response header, but is interrupted by the
> closing of the connection.
> The web server responds fine, delivering the content when I telnet and
> make the request using the exact same headers sent out by the Jigsaw
> client API.
> If I understand correctly, the 504 should indicate a timeout, but here
> it's returned almost immediately...
> If anyone's interested, the Ethereal libpcap dump is at:
> http://turtle.iquity.com/public/jigsaw_vcw.libpcap
> The dump is the Jigsaw<-->web_server result of one single request from a
> netscape 4.72 browser to Jigsaw.
>
> Does anyone have any ideas about what's going on here?
> If so, is it Jigsaw that is causing the failure or is it just reporting
> it erroneously (or both :)?

Here is the reply:
HTTP/1.1 200 OK
Server: Microsoft-IIS/4.0
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2000 17:37:48 GMT
Content-type = text/html

<HTML>
<HEAD>
<LINK REL="stylesheet" HREF="/sverige/viqtips/sestyle.css">
</HEAD>

The Content-Type is invalid "=" (this should be causing the error), I will
fix that, then the body is sent using HTTP/1.1, so with keep alive by
default, and without a Content-Length, so it MUST be using transfert
encoding, and it doesn't.
That's too many mistakes for now, I will do some fix to make it work a
little better, but we should hang the owner of this page :)