Re: Adding a service to Jigsaw

On Mon, 14 Aug 2000, Niklas Wiberg wrote:

> Hi all,
> Currently, I have a separate Java program that provides sort of a lookup
> service, callable by RMI.
> The idea is to have a modified (subclassed from) CommonLogger in Jigsaw
> call this service so as to be able to log additional information, looked
> up from the client IP address. However, I just got the idea that it
> would be nice to eliminate the RMI calls and make everything one
> application (Jigsaw). Currently it's two applications + rmiregistry...
> My first question is: What would be the best way to incorporate such a
> service into Jigsaw?

The best would be a filer, like the LogFilter (org.w3c.jigsaw.filter.LogFilter)
You only need the outgoingFilter there and it won't modify the reply.
By making it a filter and not a logger, you avoid the properties handling,
which is more painful that defining some attributes in the filter.

Note that you can make different "loggers" that way, and attach one to
each virtual host you may have and generate specific log files.
Can it fit your needs?