Re: Some more SSL ... and others questions

On Thu, 13 Jan 2000, Brax wrote:

> IAIK has been providing an ssl support for version 2.0.1
> With some work, I was able to port it to 2.0.3, but didn't tried to use it
> in the real world.
> Version 2.1 is here, for a long time, and xml support and others good
> things push me
> to stay tuned and think about upgrading.
> Right now, I've got an Intranet site working fine, using servlets, database
> connection
> and so on with version 2.0.3.
> Here's some questions for this new year :

I think I posted some fixes to make SSL work with 2.0.3 in the ML list, at
some point, but perhaps I just sent it directly to some people.
It should work with 2.1.0 without problem altough I didn't tested yet.

> - is there an utility or procedure for upgrading from 2.0.3 to 2.1 ( I'm
> especially concerned

If you start Jigsaw with the new classes, the upgrade will take place
automatically, including realms, passwords and such.
But you have to get a recent version to have it doing the right things
(http://jigsaw.w3.org/Devel/classes-2.1/
The version has to be younger that the 21/10/1999 one)
You should give a try, but save everything before of course just in case
(Also, Jigsaw is saving the old configuration, but I found it easier to
backup everything ;) ).
Also, it would be easy then to remove the phantom root resource that is
hidden in the stores of 2.0 versions, I have to do an automatic tool to
fix that ;)

> with user's password, otherwise everything else can be constructed again ).
> - I've found your utility for enabling users  to change password; hélas,
> it's an english one ...
Yes, you have to edit and recompile PasswordEditorFrame to modify the
message.

> do I pick the source code and change it or is there another smarter way ?
The smartest way would be to have a configurable message, using the
admin. So if you want to add some code, you are welcome :)

> - what about SSL support with version 2.1; I've seen that enhydria team is
> using sun java crypto ssl library;
> couldn't you add such a support, enabling users to get ssl without
> providing those restricted classes ?

It is not yet on the agenda, other things are for now using all our time
:( As always, external contribution welcomed (especially from countries
where crypto is less restricted than here ;) ).
I have to give a try to SUN's code at some point.
I am aware that many people would be happy to have access direct and easy
access to a SSL version of Jigsaw.

> - I've found some old messages about using classes stored in .jar files,
> tried some ideas but didn't successed.
> Do you have some help about pointing an URL adress to something like
> myclass.myversion.myprog stored in
> a jar file.
Basically, a jar is a zip, the ZipBrowser may help there, but URI may have
to be modified as it uses "/" as the separator.

Bonne Annee :)