Re: CacheFilter question

On Mon, 10 Jan 2000, Dan Hansen wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Class I have a question about:
> org.w3c.www.protocol.http.cache.CacheFilter
>
> I see in method "outgoingFilter()" that there is a commented out line -
>
> 	// request.setState(STATE_NOSTORE, Boolean.TRUE);

This is the code of the 2.1 version not yet finished (the cache itself
works, the filter, not yet as it needs more things in it).

> This raises a question I have about no-store.  If I read the spec correctly,
>
> the server should make a best effort to remove both the request and reply
> contents
> from non-volatile memory and to get it out of volatile memory as fast as
> possible.
>
> So does jigsaw NOT store the meta-data associated with the request and reply
> resource?

No, it won't be stored and Jigsaw will only act as a simple proxy in that
case. The only trace will be in the log file. Storing the metadata would
also be against the no-store directive, as it refers to the response and
not the entity body of the response. As headers are part of the response,,
they cannot be cached.