Re: Jigsaw proxy - using protocol...

On Mon, 6 Sep 1999, Semuel Vomberg wrote:

> > > but if we look at HttpBasicServer class, at doRequest function, we'll find
> > > the line "switch (getRequestMode(request))" and from this I got my
> > > conclution. am I wrong ?
> >
> > Well, the manager can perform HTTP/1.1 and HTTP/1.0 requests, the
> > ProxyFrame is responsible for the creation of that request, based on the
> > incoming request.
> > see org.w3c.jigsaw.proxy/ForwardFrame, the method is :
> > protected org.w3c.www.protocol.http.Request dupRequest(Request request)
> > And the request that will be sent is...
> > 	req = manager.createRequest();
> > which is by default an HTTP/1.1 request.
>
> hmm. so why that switch (at HttpBasicServer), if the server will use
> HTTP/1.1 anyway ?

The server yes, but the Client stack may be reused in other application,
and you can then specify the HTTP level you want. Also, depending on the
remote server's reply, Jigsaw's client stack will adapt itself to the
protocol level of the remote server, this is particulary useful when a PUT
or a POST has to be performed (handling of 100-Continue and others).