Re: Unexpected change of Last-Modified header

On Wed, 10 Nov 1999, Michail Pappas wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> when running Jigsaw 2.0.3 as a proxy it came to my attention that the
> Last-Modified header is affected when passed through Jigsaw. For
> example, a HEAD request to
> http://help.netscape.com/products/server/enterprise/3.5.1E-patch-readme.htm,
> with no proxy, returns the following:
>
> HTTP/1.1 200 OK
> Server: Netscape-Enterprise/3.6
> Date: Wed, 10 Nov 1999 11:33:13 GMT
> Last-modified: Mon, 30 Aug 1999 22:15:35 GMT
> Accept-ranges: bytes
>
> while use of Jigsaw affects the Last-Modified header as follows:
>
> HTTP/1.1 200 OK
> Date: Wed, 10 Nov 1999 11:34:00 GMT
> Via: 1.1 xxxxxx:xx (Jigsaw/2.0.3)
> Last-Modified: Wed, 10 Nov 1999 11:32:35 GMT
> Accept-Ranges: bytes
> Age: 24
> Server: Netscape-Enterprise/3.6
>
> Per RFC2616 (HTTP/1.1) this is buggy behaviour, since this header should
> not be modified by a transparent proxy. Any thoughts?

Oops, you spotted a bug there! It is now fixed, and the new
classes/jars/zips are available at:
http://jigsaw.w3.org/Devel/classes-2.0/19991116/
Note that it fixes also some revalidation problems as the last modified
was used to do If-Modified-Since requests...
Btw, Jigsaw is not a transparent proxy but a "non-transparent proxy" as
stated by
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-wrec-taxonomy-02.txt
:)