RE: Running Jigsaw as a Service

On Monday, May 17, 1999 9:30 AM, Yves Lafon [SMTP:ylafon@w3.org] wrote:
> On Fri, 14 May 1999, Jilani Khaldi wrote:
> See
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-jigsaw/1999MarApr/0119.html
> I tried the tool linked in this email and it works great.
> The only thing is when you reboot the machine, you then have to log on,
> kill the server using jigkill then you can reboot.
> They should design services so that stop script should be called (ala Unix
> ;) ).

We are successfully running as an NT service.  We have a Server
class that is the main().  It actually handles all the communication
with Jigsaw (startup, shutdown, reindex, etc.).  We then wrote
a service in C++ which loads the Java VM and talks to the Server class
via the JNI.  All works well, unless your service takes more than
20 seconds to startup or shutdown.  If it does, you need to multi-thread
and respond to polls by the Service Manager.  Unfortunately, this
does not work.  The JNI is broken, and Sun has closed the problem report
saying that they will not be fixing it.  However, the service starts/
shuts down just fine even if it takes over 20 seconds, it just reports
an error (erroneously).  There is no special killing or scripting
necessary with this method.

-Brenda Hinkemeyer

Brenda Hinkemeyer, Software Engineer, Banker's Systems, Inc.
Email:  bhinkem@bankerssystems.com    Phone:(320) 240-4225
"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we
used when we created them."  -- Albert Einstein
*     *
"I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but
I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I
meant."  -- Alan Greenspan