Re: Servlets: Too many files open

On Thu, 6 May 1999, Ingo Schubert wrote:

> Hi,
>
> to test some servlets I use Jigsaw 2.0.1. running on JKD 1.1.7. and
> Servlet DK
> 2.0. The OS is Solaris 7  SPARC.
>
> When I open more than 16 Servlets I get the Exception:
> java.net.SocketException: Too many open files
>         at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.accept(PlainSocketImpl.java:379)
>         at java.net.ServerSocket.implAccept(ServerSocket.java:198)
>         at java.net.ServerSocket.accept(ServerSocket.java:181)
>         at org.w3c.jigsaw.http.httpd.run(httpd.java)
>         at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java)
>
> How can I tell Jigsaw to use more files?
> I didn't find something in the Admin tool.

It is not java-related but OS related, type "limit" in an xterm, you will
see something like this:
cputime         unlimited
filesize        unlimited
datasize        2097148 kbytes
stacksize       8192 kbytes
coredumpsize    unlimited
vmemoryuse      unlimited
descriptors     64

to modify it (depending of your shell)
limit descriptors 1024
(it will depend on the maximum number of descriptors your kernel allows)

Note, you must be very careful because of this limitation when you open a
connection, you have to be sure that it will be closed at some point
(fd-leaking).