Re: help with jigsaw admin client

On Mon, 12 Apr 1999, Ray Tayek wrote:

> hi, got jugsaw. it runs. simple HelloWorld servlet from java servlet
> programming by hunter & crawford compiles. the admin server is running.
> trying to use the admin client for jigsaw fails with:
>
> java org.w3c.jigadmin.Main
>
> java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: org/w3c/www/http/HttpEntityTag
> 	at java.lang.Class.forName0(Native Method)
> 	at java.lang.Class.forName(Compiled Code)

This is a problem with jdk1.2 classloader on NT, the "fun" thing is that
you get errors or not depending on the service pack you have the classpath
and some other factors (I didn't check for the wind yet ;) ).
A fix would be:
Replace in HeaderDescription.java
this.cls    = Class.forName(clsname);
by
this.cls = Class.forName(clsname, true,
	                 this.getClass().getClassLoader());

(The problem seems to be in the native, and the semantically equivalent
"full" expression is not using this native).

Which is exactly the same, except that it deosn't work using jdk1.1.*
Also, another fix would be to unzip jigsaw.zip and jigadmin.jar and rezip
everything in one big zip (of course with -0).
Some tests I ran have shown that the problem arise when the classloader is
switching jars :(

> which is the proper way to invoke the admin client? has anyone seen this
> problem?

Another entry in the bug parade of jdk1.2[.1] NT!
(Note, solaris jdk1.2 has not problem with that, and I didn't try with
other vendors jdk yet)
Hope this helps,