Re: images

On Thu, 25 Mar 1999, Christopher William Turner wrote:

> Here are my test results (all with Browser IE4 on Win98):-
>
> Jigsaw compiled JDK1.2 on Win98 but server executing on Linux JDK1.1.7
> http://www.trade-submit.com:8001/Doc/
> the problem is present.
>
> The w3 own online docs, server unknown, OS unknown, JDK unknown
> http://www.w3.org/Jigsaw/Doc/
> the problem is present.
>
> Jigsaw compiled JDK1.2 on Win98 server executing on Win98 JRE1.2
> The problem is present.
>
> Now if www.w3.org is not Jigsaw, then Jigsaw is cleared!.

www.w3.org is an Apache (Jigsaw was not that stable for a big site at
that time), but jigsaw.w3.org is (running on an old and small solaris2.5
box). Apache, as it doesn't have a global view of connections (forked
process and not threads) it has a very short timeout on persistent
connections. I suspect that the close of the stream must trigger some
action in IE (1.0 like), and it is not happening using Jigsaw, as the
timeout is quite long (more than 30mn by default if my memory is good).
If you got the problem on Apache also, then it still may be the 1.1