Re: Recommended Upgrade Practices?

On Tue, 3 Aug 1999, John E. Conlon wrote:

> I am in the process of upgrading my 2.0.1 Jigsaw to 2.0.3.  But I am not
> sure what is the 'standard' way to do an upgrade.  Half way through my
> brute force method I thought it best to ask the members of this list.  Is
> there a document somewhere that describes the process?   To ease future
> upgrades I would like to set up Jigsaw so that code, configuration, and
> content are separate so upgrades will not write over my configs or content?
>  How is this best accomplished.

The main things are the classes and the configuration files of the admin
tools.
What I do, usually is to move the zips and jar to a dated name
(jigadmin.jar -> jigadmin-19990804.jar) so that I can get back to the
previous version easily. You can also backup the stores.
The files needed for an upgrade are:

Jigsaw/classes/jigsaw.zip
Jigsaw/classes/*.jar
Jigsaw/Jigsaw/config/jigadm*.zip
Jigsaw/Jigsaw/config/icons/*

Depending on your config, you may avoid jigedit.jar and/or one of the
jigadm*zip, as you are probably using only one version.