Re: Authorization - requesting username & password in a filter

On Thu, 19 Mar 1998, Paul Pazandak wrote:

> Yves,
>
> Thanks, that worked great! Now, I have a related problem. Here is a scenario:
>
> I have two resources:
>     - foo.html with username/password of foo/foo -- one MUST enter the
>             proper username/password to see the file
>
>     - bar.html
>             - if the username/password is bar/bar then the user gets all of
>                 the file
>             - if the username/password is foo/foo then the user gets some of it
>             - otherwise, all of the confidential content is stripped out before
>                 sending it to the user
>
> The problem is that if the user first views foo.html, the credential
> has the value foo/foo & it hangs around on subsequent requests from a client.
> Now, when he wants to view bar.html he may want to view all of the content
> & therefore would need to be able to re-enter a username/password (specifically,
> bar/bar). Is there anyway a client can cause this to occur? Otherwise, he'll
> only get some of the content since the credential is still foo/foo.

The main problem is that the browser caches the credential, and there are
no way to tell the browser to invalidate its cache.
One solution should be to have a realm per protection level. Main
drawback, the user will have to enter again the foo/foo for the new
resource. But he will have a chance to use the bar/bar instead.
You could wrap everything into a servlet and do some link at the top of
the page to have the full version (ex: normal access foo.html, with link
to foo.html?full, displaying the credential for the complete URL stored in
another realm).
Hope this help...