Re: Jigsaw & partial content HTTP requests

On Fri, 3 Jul 1998, Marc Slemko wrote:

> On Fri, 3 Jul 1998, Yves Lafon wrote:
>
> > Well, it is served, but not correctly as one extra byte is sent. This has
> > been corrected a few days ago, along with the request for bad ranges which
> > generates now a "Requested range not satisfiable".
> > I don't post the changes right now as the new release will be out soon
> > with all those fixes.
>
> It generates a what?  Do you mean it logs that in a log file?

In draft-ietf-http-v11-spec-rev-03, man can find:

  10.4.17 416 Requested Range Not Satisfiable

  A server SHOULD return a response with this status code if a request
  included a Range request-header field (section 14.35) , and none of the
  range-specifier values in this field overlap the current extent of the
  selected resource, and the request did not include an If-Range request-
  header field. (For byte-ranges, this means that the first-byte-pos of
  all of the byte-range-spec values were greater than the current length
  of the selected resource.)

  When this status code is returned for a byte-range request, the response
  MUST include a Content-Range entity-header field specifying the current
  length of the selected resource (see section 14.16). This response MUST
  NOT use the multipart/byteranges content-type.

> A HTTP/1.1 server must ignore all invalid Range: headers, so if you are
> returning an error to the client then that is broken.

Well, invalid ranges like 2-123123123123 are ignored but 2342342-2342344
generates (content-length is about 1000 for example).
So it is valid HTTP/1.1!

  /\ /  \                Architecture Domain - Jigsaw