Re: return of ingoingFilter

Lv, Qiang wrote:

> On Wed, 18 Feb 1998, Paul Pazandak wrote:
>

> > qianglu@homer.njit.edu wrote:
> >
> > > Hi Paul,
> > >
> > > ingoingFilter can return null or a Reply or NoOngoingFilter. Anything else? If ingoingFilter return a Reply, to whom this Reply will be forward? How about the Reply generated by the FilteredResource then? If ingoingFilter generates a Reply,
> > > can I stop its hooked resource to perform that original Request, and use ingoingFilter's Reply as
> > > the perform()'s result?
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > > Qiang
> >
> > If an ingoing filter returns a reply object then all further processing of the request
> > should stop. This means that a perform(request) should not occur. If you look at
> > the code, I believe that the the basic structure is:
> >
> >     -    apply ingoing filters, stop if a filter returns a non-null reply
> If so, all the filters after that filter in chain will be blocked?

Correct. This makes sense as a result to the request has been produced (by a filter), sowhy continue processing the request?

However, if you are doing a perform(newrequest), then the new request should
run through all of the filters again... unless your requestfilter stops that request
and submits a new one in its place. At some point, the final request should be
"subjected" to the remaining filters I believe. You can easily test this by printing
something out from a simple filter which follows your request-replacing filter.

However, if you generate your own reply without doing a perform(request),
then none of the other ingoing filters would be called.

Paul.

> I am
> sorry that I did not view that code. If you can give me answer, I will
> save time-:)
>
> Thanks,
> Qiang
>
> >     -    if reply is null, perform request
> >     -    apply outgoing filters
> >
> > Again, depending upon the request type you can view this code in HttpManager.
> >
> > Paul.

Paul Pazandak                                      pazandak@objs.com
Object Services and Consulting, Inc.             http://www.objs.com
Minneapolis, Minnesota 55420-5409                       612-881-6498