Re: Jigsaw proxy

On Tue, 13 Jan 1998, Yael Stav wrote:

> George Vardaggalos wrote:
>
> >  Hi Yael.
> >
> >  I'm a new user of Jigsaw. I saw you in the mailing list of jigsaw, and
> >  also saw you've already used jigsaw as a proxy.
> >
> >  I want to make a java client which will request a url from the jigsaw
> >  proxy, (that means I'll use jigsaw as a proxy. After the process
> >  described in the FAQ for setting jigsaw as a proxy do I need to do
> >  anything with the admin and what's this?) and the proxy will fetch it
> >  from the desired web server. (of course I'd like to support get and post
> >  methods)
> >
> >  How could I do it if I wanted to call jigsaw proxy via HTTP so as to
> >  download the desired url?  I've made a java process, not so efficient
> >  indeed to download urls to my hard disk. But I'd like to use this
> >  proxy so as to check before it gets the original web server its cache.
> >  Is it easy to be done too? You know, I'm a new java programmer, and I'm a
> >  bit confused with all this huge API.
> >
> >  Could you give me some simple solutions?
> >
> >  that's the code I wrote, how could be done using jigsaw proxy?
> > ( I know it's not the best code but I saw url saved in my hard disk)
> >
> > import HtmlException.*;
> > import java.io.*;
> > import java.net.*;
> >

> > class getURL {

> >                 try {
> >                       URL url = new URL(args[0]);
> >                       File f = new File(url.getHost());
> >                       URLConnection urlc = url.openConnection();
> >  BufferedReader br = new BufferedReader(new
> >  InputStreamReader(urlc.getInputStream()));
> >                      String inputLine;
> >
> > DataOutputStream out = new DataOutputStream(new
> > FileOutputStream(url.getHost()));
> >

> >                      while (( inputLine = br.readLine()) != null)
> >

> >                   for (int i=0;i<inputLine.length();++i)
> >
> >                   out.write((byte)inputLine.charAt(i));
> >
> >                      out.close();
> >                      br.close();
> >

> >                 } catch (FileNotFoundException e) {
> >                     System.err.println("FileStreamsTest: " + e);
> >                 } catch (IOException e) {
> >                     System.err.println("FileStreamsTest: " + e);
> >                 }
> >             }
> >
> > }
> >
> >  Thanks in advance,
> >
> >  George.
>
> Hi,
> I can answer some of your questions, since I'm indeed using
> Jigsaw as a proxy server (though I'm using it with no caching functionality):
>
> a. After you install Jigsaw as a proxy, as described in the FAQ,
> you should be able to check whether it's working or not.
> Just use any web browser, configured to use the proxy, and see if you get all
> the web documents alright.
> 4 example: In Netscape Communicator go to Edit/Preferences/Advanced/Proxies
> and choose in the manual proxy configuration, as the HTTP proxy, the host (and
> port)  where you installed jigsaw.
>
> b. If phase a went OK, this means the Jigsaw is indeed working.
>     Now all you have to find out is how (if possible) you get the
> [...]

The use of a proxy to do the request is here (and it is the same in the
URLConnection of the JDK api), you must set some properties at startup or
in a properties file:
proxyHost=myproxy.mydomain.com
proxyPort=8008
proxySet=true

ex:
java -DproxyHost=myproxy.mydomain.com -DproxyPort=8008 -DproxySet=true
getUrl http://www.foo.bar/

  /\ /  \                Architecture Domain - Jigsaw