Re: Jigsaw 2.0 !

Anselm Baird_Smith wrote:
> - Jigsaw is yours ! If you have comments, ideas whatever else let me
>   know, I will probably start by writing pages about what this new
>   design that should be use as a starting point for discussions

Feature Request! Is it possible for the HTTP Admin interface to be
internationalized and the HTML standardized?

===

In regards to standardization, use only Wilbur (ditch the frames... they
look horrible in both the current version of Amaya and HotJava).

===

In regards to internationalization, can three properties can be added to
the Administration system which affects internationalization. Something
kinda like this:

<FORM ACTION="URL" METHOD=POST>
<TABLE BORDER>
<CAPTION>Locale Control for Admin</CAPTION>
<TR>
<TH>Administration System Language</TH>
<TD>
<SELECT NAME=lang SIZE=1>
<OPTION VALUE=en SELECTED>English</OPTION>
<OPTION VALUE=fr>French</OPTION>
<OPTION VALUE=de>German</OPTION>
<OPTION VALUE=ja>Japanese</OPTION>
</SELECT>
</TD>
</TR>
<TR>
<TH>Input From Client</TH>
<TD><INPUT TYPE=TEXT NAME=incharset SIZE=32 MAXLENGTH=256
VALUE=iso-8859-1></TD>
</TR>
<TR>
<TH>Output To Client</TH>
<TD><INPUT TYPE=TEXT NAME=outcharset SIZE=32 MAXLENGTH=255
VALUE=utf-8></TD>
</TR>
</TABLE>
<INPUT TYPE=SUBMIT NAME=apply VALUE=Apply>
<INPUT TYPE=RESET NAME=cancel VALUE=Cancel>
</FORM>

(The languages above are only examples... in the ideal model, the
interface could be easily
expanded by users)

IOW, an Admin page which sets the character set it will receive in a GET
or POST, and a setting for what filter to run the internal Unicode
through for the output, along with the proper "Content-Type: text/html;
charset=xxxxxx"? Support for languages other than English would be great
too.... I'm sure more than one person would be happy to volunteer
translations for needed languages.

Also, in using the term "alpha," I expected Jigsaw to change in ways
that make it incompatible with previous alphas, and look forward to the
changes and added features that are made in the name of improvement. If
something must become incompatible/deprecated, let it be. That's why
it's called "alpha."

Built in Unicode and internationalization support are fine features of
Java that make programmers across the globe click their heels. As Jigsaw
is taking advantage of the strengths of Java, I'm hoping it will also
incorporate internationalization in the administration system as well.
--
Adrian Havill <http://www.threeweb.ad.jp/>
Engineering Division, System Planning & Production Section