Re: JDK 1.1 advantage?

Hi

On 10 Mar, Anselm Baird_Smith wrote:
> Dmitriy Kruglyak writes:
>  > I'd like to know whether the next release of Jigsaw will take
>  > advantage of the new features in JDK 1.1 and whether the
>  > compatibility with JDK 1.02 will be maintained (or there will
>  > be a double release?). I guess one of the greatest features
>  > of the new JDK is highly enhanced performance for both JVM
>  > and compiler. It would be interesting to see benchmarks of
>  > Jigsaw on JDK 1.1 against Jigsaw on JDK 1.02 and other web
>  > servers.
>
> 1.0alpha5 will compile/run under 1.1 (not taking advantage of it
> fully, though)
>
> My plan was for next release to be totally 1.1, I had hopes that by
> next June, all Java VM would have been 1.1. As this doesn't seem to ne
> realistic, I might, as you say have to do two releases (a tough job
> :-(
>
> If you have strong feelings against a Java 1.1 only release in June,
> let me know,
>
> Anselm.

To my mind, this depends on the release of the LINUX JDK 1.1. The
dev kit is available for SOLARIS, and I am using an early SGI port,
which seems to be fine. Add linux support to this, and you have ix86,
ALPHA and ARM coverage as well. This would indicate to me that there is
little reason to use the JDK 1.02. Given also that in the early days
JDK 1.02 was also seriously platform limited, these platforms do not
seem to be an unreasonable assumption for what people are actually
using.

Joel
--
Joel.Crisp@bris.ac.uk | ets-webmaster@bris.ac.uk  | "I remember Babylon" -
Software Engineer, Institute for Learning and     |        Arthur C Clarke