Re:Disallowing Directory Listings

>darrell starnes writes:
> > I don't like users to be able to list some directories.  I don't know if
> > there is a different
> > way to disallow directory listings, I usually set the index to a
> > non-existant file so that
> > directory listings fail which has the same effect as not allowing
>directory
> > listings. I
> >
> > s there a different way to do this? Should there be an attribute in
> > DirectoryResource to allow or disallow directory listings?
>
>I guess that you can set the index to some none existing file (the
>error message will look strange, but it will work)

What about creating a dummy resource to set as index file. It would be
pretty easy to write one and it could just return user specified string.
eg. "You cannot list this directory. Got a problem?" Of course it should
set the return code to be 'access forbidden' too.

The only problem here is that reindexing of the directory would remove that
resource. :-{ Something should really be done about it....

Regards,
    Alex.
Ps. This is an extension of 'directory lister' idea of a while ago.

alex@access.com.au