Re:Jigsaw/Mac JDK 1.0.2 - root resource?

At 11:22 PM on 25/6/96, Peter M. Jansson wrote:

> I have been able to get Jigsaw running with the Mac JDK, but then I get an
> error.  First, I've seen several questions about how to get it to run.
> Here's how:
>
> 1. Untar the Jigsaw distribution (I get a large number of bad file names
> here; does anyone else?  Almost all are .html files under Jigsaw/WWW)
It could be because of the filename length, eg
w3c.jigsaw.resources.NegotiatedResource.html is 45 characters long and Mac
has 31 characters limit. So everything longer than that get truncated and
reported as bad file name.

<snip fascinatind and complex information involving ResEdit >

> Having done all of that, I can double-click on the Jigsaw app file and
> watch the app launch.  Then, I get the following in standard output:

>   ***Fatal error, aborting
>   w3c.jigsaw.http.httpd: Unable to restore root resource [root] from
> repository [Jigsaw/WWW/.jigidx]
>   *** [httpd]: fatal error, exiting !
>
> Here's what shows up in standard error:
>
>   java.lang.RuntimeException: Unable to restore root resource [root] from
> repository [Jigsaw/WWW/.jigidx]
>        at w3c.jigsaw.http.httpd.fatal(httpd.java)
>        at w3c.jigsaw.http.httpd.initialize(httpd.java)
>        at w3c.jigsaw.http.httpd.<init>(httpd.java)
>        at w3c.jigsaw.http.httpd.main(httpd.java)
>
> I don't know how to proceed in figuring out what went wrong.  There is a
> Jigsaw directory at the same level as the Jigsaw app file, and it contains
> a WWW directory, which contains a .jigidx file (and a .jigidx.bak).  I
> don't know if filenaming conventions are happening here; it sort of looks
> as if the properties are being read, so I gather that it can see files.
> What should I look for next?

I have no clue about that one, but just two guesses. One, it could be
something to do with relative pathes, because Jigsaw is a bit picky from
which directory you start.
Another is that there might be some problem with files starting from  full
stop. Wasn't there something about having hard-drive names start with full
stop like .Sony ??

Hope we will hava Mac Jigsaw soon, still hope...
   Alex.

alex@access.com.au