Re: OLD CGI CALLS

Adam R. B. Jack writes:
 > Anselm:
 >
 > About an hour ago I asked -- "how does one map an extension, XXX,
 > to w3c.jigsaw.forms.CgiResource?"
 >
 > As fate would have it -- the answer that I had been seeking off and on
 > for a couple of days -- popped into my head soon after I let fly my e-mail!
 > The attribute 'command' that I believe I have correctly set on the Extension's
 > CgiResource was set, but not on the separate instance that was being created
 > for my resources.
 >
 > The manual states that the Extension resource would act as defaults for
 > instances of resources with that extension, hence one could default
 > content-language to, say, "en". Was I wrong to assume that class specific
 > attributes (such as 'command' for CgiResource) should also be defaulted?

No you are not, I would be surprised to find a bug in this area, what
might have happened is the following:

a) You registered your extension, without a default value for command
b) You run Jigsaw, and indexed your XXX files (with no command,m since
it was not set at that time)
c) Realizing a few things, you decided to edit the XXX Extension
definition

At step c) however already indexed resources don't get notify of the
change in the extension, so they keep having a null command
attribute. Then you pick one of them, edit itrs' command , and it
works...

Does this sounds like something you possibly done ?
If so, you need to 'reindex' - by using the parent directory resource
reinmdexing mechanism - the already indexed CGI scripts..

 > When I manually set the command attribute on the CgiResource(s) that
 > are available for edit for my XXX extensioned files -- things work. (Obviously
 > I would prefer the functionality I had assumed, however I am glad to be
 > able to work with what I have.)
 >
 > BTW: One small problem with CgiResource.java. Your resource sets the
 > environment variable SERVER_NAME to "jigsaw". The software I am using
 > expects a hostname so it can return local redirects, and this seems
 > consistent with the version of the CGI interface specification that I found
 > on www.w3.org.
 >
 > As I see it, I merely change line 228 of w3c.jigsaw.forms.CgiResource
 > from	addEnv ("SERVER_NAME", "jigsaw", env) ;
 > to		addEnv ("SERVER_NAME", server.getHost(), env) ;
 >
 > If you can spare me the time -- one final question, please. One line 232
 > you use server.getLocalPort() as opposed to server.getPort(). When might
 > these two vary?

Again, the CgiResource has some oversight - like the one you mention -
If any of you sends me a diff for the env var settings, etc I will be
glad to incorporate it. In particular I know some of the HTTP_* (if I
recall) are missing.

Anselm.