Re: Attributes do not propogate in depth on Update ?

At 7:14 PM 11/6/96, Anselm Baird-Smith wrote:
> > >Reindex deletes the resource, and recreates a new one by going through
> > >the resource factory. This is what you want to do, but don't forget to
> > >select the resources (by checking their check-box) that you want to
> > >re-index.
> > >
> > >This *should* work...
> >
> > If I understood that correctly, Reindexing the directory would also reindex
> > all files within it. Then, it would be recursive and I would get new icons
> > on all files and directories within reindexed directory. Evidently it did
> > not happen. So is reindexing recursive or not?
>
>Reindexing is *not* recursive, although it obviously should be. In
>fact, I have some other idea on the topic. The basic thing would be to
>provide a ResourceSet which would contain, independantly of how the
>hierarchy is a set of resource, that you could configure in a single
>click. For the time being, we will have to live with the hierarchic
>but not recursive piece of it .... unless you hack it ;_)

I think I agree with your idea, but I am not quite sure what you mean. Can
you give 3-4 examples.

I am always for generic idea as far as they allow to do most needed things
easy. For me, recursive update of directory seems important, so as far as
ResourceSet allows to build it easily I am all for it.

About hacking it, I am not that familiar with Jigsaw yet. :-( I hope one
day soon, I will be able to do some contribution.

> > I think having a concept of recursive update and recursive re-indexing is
> > important, because it is too compicated to do it manually.
>
>Yep I do agree, but there is no reasons that this should only be
>dictated by the hierarchy. This usage of the hierarchy as defining a
>set of resources is too restrictive to me ;-)
>
>Anselm.
As I have said, the less restrictions the better.

Alex.

Ps. Is anybody else interested in it, or is it just a dialog between me and
Anselm?  :~}

alex@access.com.au