Re: Avoiding dial-up

On Fri, 7 Jun 1996, Anselm Baird-Smith wrote:

> Lee Daniel Crocker writes:
>  > Jigsaw (Win32) has an annoying and critical bug that I've
>  > seen in about 1/3 of all Winsock apps: it won't start up
>  > without dialing into your ISP.  Early JDB had this bug, as
>  > did early Symantec Cafe, and some Web servers.
>
> Do you know if this is a Jigsaw related bug, or a Java related bug. If
> you make any progress let me know, otherwise, I'll try and fix it
> myself.

I haven't found this at all myself - I have turned off AutoDial in my
control panel settings for Internet networking, which maybe the problem.
Try running Jigsaw like this:

java w3c.jigsaw.http.httpd -port 80 -host 127.0.0.1 -root whatever

This should start Jigsaw with the looopback address, which you can then
access through a web browser with http://localhost/ (though not with
Internet Explorer 3beta1 for some reason, although I don't consider that
much of a loss right now).

I've been playing with Jigsaw this way for about 2 days now and it works
just fine.

Doug "Sirilyan" Sheppard <sirilyan@io.com> http://www.io.com/~sirilyan
  For a cleaner Usenet, insert this in ~/News/KILL (rn-style newsreaders):