Will Jigsaw use proxies?

Alexandre Rafalovitch writes:
 > HI,
 >
 > Thinking about the promise I gave to Anselm to write annotation filter, I
 > suddenly remembered a small detail.
 >
 > In an environment sitting behind the firewall, I would not like to have
 > Jigsaw as a real proxy at this stage (nor would I be able to persuade our
 > webmaster to do it anyway). What I would like to do instead is to make
 > Jigsaw a second level proxy. Would that be possible to do with next release
 > of Jigsaw?

Hopefully yes, the proxy is really the part that still neeeds lots of
work, but it looks like I can get my hands to the keyboards these
days. The proxy module that will come with next release of JIigsaw
will probably be early alpha stage, and as you say, it wouldn't be
ssafe to use it as a first level proxy.

 > Basically, it would mean that Jigsaw can talk TO the proxy, not just being one.

Yes, I have to work on it, but it should defintely be possible.

 > Related question: Using Jigsaw as a proxy means it cannot serve as a normal
 > server anymore? Or Jigsaw would be differenciating between normal GET and
 > proxy type GET and behave differently?

It (will/can) serve as both a proxy and a server. It differentiaties
the usage accoding to the URL. So if you query the proxy|server for
its own URL it will turn into server mode, otherwise, it will turn
into proxy mode. BTW this is the way you will configure the proxy -
using the same form interface to configure the "proxy" resource.

 > Sorry for confusing question, but I did not think about low level details
 > in proxy communication before this morning. :-{

That's fine. I must admit I am a little scared by the current state of
the proxy (although the server is pretty stable, it j ust needs some
cleaning).

Anselm.