Re: Programmatic API to IsaViz

Carl Lagoze wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I would like to use various parts of IsaViz functionality through calls from
> another program - i.e. avoiding the UI layer.  In particular I want to pipe
> in an RDF/XML file and output an SVG.  I've looked around (Google, the
> source, the web page on IsaViz) and not seen any evidence of the public class
> available in IsaViz to do this.  Can someone point me in the right direction.
>
> Thanks
>
> Carl Lagoze
> Senior Research Associate
> Cornell Information Science
> 301 College Ave.
> Ithaca, NY 14850
> Phone: +1-607-255-6046
> Fax: +1-607-255-5196
> WWW: http://www.cs.cornell.edu/lagoze
> email: lagoze@cs.cornell.edu

Hello,

Many people have asked for this already. It is unfortunately not
possible right now for the following reason: the SVG output by GraphViz
is visually 'far' from what is actually shown in IsaViz' UI (to get an
idea of how far the two are, you can try to visualize one of the
temporary SVG files produced in the tmp/ directory).

I do a lot of post-processing on that SVG model, and this
post-processing involves the Java Graphics context (e.g. to position
text correctly, but also to display GSS shapes, bimaps, colors, etc.).
This context is tightly linked to the GUI (through the ZVTM library),
meaning that what you are asking for is not straightforward, since it is
definitely not just a question of calling the appropriate method or
making it public.

However, if you are not interested in GSS transformations, I think the
best thing to do is get the RDFValidator's code [1] and start from
there. It is much simpler and does not postprocess the SVG (the
rendering is not great though, especially w.r.t label positioning).

[1] http://www.w3.org/RDF/Validator/

Emmanuel

--
Emmanuel Pietriga (epietriga@nuxeo.com)