W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > www-international@w3.org > July to September 2022

[minutes] Internationalization telecon 2022-09-15

From: Fuqiao Xue <xfq@w3.org>
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2022 19:38:21 +0800
Message-Id: <11BC02B3-5A37-42BA-82E9-350D6C84BA66@w3.org>
To: www-international@w3.org
https://www.w3.org/2022/09/15-i18n-minutes.html



                             – DRAFT –
           Internationalization Working Group Teleconference

15 September 2022

   [2]Agenda. [3]IRC log.

      [2] https://www.w3.org/events/meetings/021b74cf-1c4d-4034-a758-f8f88290b55d
      [3] https://www.w3.org/2022/09/15-i18n-irc

Attendees

   Present
          Addison, Atsushi, Bert, Felix, fsasaki, JcK, Richard

   Regrets
          -

   Chair
          Addison Phillips

   Scribe
          atsushi, fsasaki

Contents

    1. [4]Agenda Review
    2. [5]Action Items
    3. [6]Info Share
    4. [7]RADAR Review
    5. [8]TPAC in review
    6. [9]Payments
    7. [10]Linking info about string-meta & js
    8. [11]i18n-glossary edits
    9. [12]What's coming tomorrow with CSS folks
   10. [13]AOB?
   11. [14]Summary of action items

Meeting minutes

   <addison> trackbot, prepare teleconference

  Agenda Review

   addison: we had meetings during TPAC as usual

   [some new agenda items added]

   <r12a-again> close agendum-12

  Action Items

   <addison> [15]https://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/
   open

     [15] https://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/open

   addison: 1109, no new item

   addison: 1164, not completed yet

   addison: 1183, asking around, but will ask someone who can
   contact with ECMA TC39 process

   addison: 1185, published updated version?

   r12a: did happen, but will check

   addison: 1190, added, but not checked in yet

   addison: 1195, little bit conversation on this, start catching
   up. probably need longer email thread

   r12a: got an idea since Elika (fantasai) asked

   atsushi: 1196, will pick up this during JL-TF call next Tue

   addison: 1200, PR added, and will have discussion later

   addison: 1201, it's string search stuff

   r12a: 1202, not yet, but will do soon

   addison: 1204, they are requesting us for CR transition, on
   pending TC39 one

  Info Share

  RADAR Review

   <addison> [16]https://github.com/w3c/i18n-request/projects/1

     [16] https://github.com/w3c/i18n-request/projects/1

   addison: no new incoming

   addison: no pending issue for autoplay policy detection

   r12a: did not find anything else

   addison: close this?

   [agreed]

  TPAC in review

   r12a: surprised that TPAC starts from early hour, easier for
   around
   … for on site, a little issue on voice via mask
   … video worked really well

   <Bert> (But the hotel breakfast only starts at 6:30, I think,
   so starting at 7 may be hard for that reason.)

   addison: reception last night

   addison: heard from several people that no one in the room but
   only remotely

   bert: about infrastrucuture, no separate microphone for small
   room, setting up microphone was ideal

   r12a: I see photo in group on twitter

   addison: super masking stuff
   … so far so good.

   addison: meeting room stuff were pretty well

   addison: invited from APA all afternoon

   <Zakim> Bert, you wanted to notice that Squamish uses "7" as a
   letter.

   addison: spent large time on CSS isuses, productive, Florian
   and Elika were with us for long time

   r12a: we could do that other than TPAC
   … occasional setting up meeting, like in advance from TPAC

   addison: agree
   … it was nice filler in the meeting, but we might work on other
   items
   … but having every other weeks or occasionally could work

   addison: also MathML people came

   bert: only four of us were in room, more in zoom
   … discussed on formula in other languages, or how these are
   spoken

   addison: super interesting, our conversation touched many
   languages in the world, and also subject/SVO forms
   … doing in math for various languages are nice

   addison: had nice conversation with Anne last night
   … touched with EAI people via email, right side of email
   address, how browser knows

   JcK: there are proposal on restriction for right hand side of
   email
   … to have restriction like DNS
   … currently no restriction on right hand side not like left
   side
   … like BiDi controls

   addison: suspect to talk on that issue in near future
   … would be interested in status about these
   … challange in HTML are what is in common email services, and
   browser supports

   JcK: number of email servers accept these

   addison: challange here is filter, currently no restriction on
   right hand side
   … otherwise there are some filter in some scripts

   JcK: filter could be more extensive

   addison: much more agressive filter, like punctuation, could be
   considered

   addison: any other recapping?

  Payments

   addison: had a meeting with web payments to talk about secure
   payment information
   … they accepted all of our comments, we have action plan for
   addressing different ones
   … SPC lets browser post native popup box, with native language
   … currency number, currency code, string, for user
   … native experience is not secured to same as web page
   … no control like numbers inside of web page
   … language negotiation mechanism may not work for SPC
   … and implementing language preference list in SPC

   addison: it is interesting since similar discussion could
   happen with other browser based APIs

   addison: other hot topic was DOMString and USVString
   … some in DOMString since other specs uses DOMString
   … may need to study more on two formats

   addison: last piece is string-meta
   … they have some text in natural language, they would go
   forward to CR with pending these as TC39
   … potentionally reasonable for us
   … will put comment in issue

   JcK: is group in touch with TC39?

   addison: don't know

   addison: worring on some currency like bitcoin does not have
   currency as codepoint

   JcK: real bankers could be in trouble

  Linking info about string-meta & js

   r12a: you created a place where everyone can see current
   progress, do you know the place?

   addison: 1579

   <addison> [17]https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/issues/1579

     [17] https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/issues/1579

   r12a: two, we need to direct people to it, putting a link to
   relevant places
   … looking through some of tracker issues, rather than actual WG
   issues, not clear but wondering

   addison: some are in our repo

   r12a: these would be taken into a list for where other WG
   people will check

   <JcK> For the minutes on the email addres stuff: there is
   really no issue with the right side (domain-part, after @ for
   contemporary email address formats). The syntax rules are
   well-defined by IDNA2008, as is a completely reversible mapping
   between valid A-label and U-labels ("Punycode" and native
   character forms), and any address with an invalid domain-part
   is not going to work in actual email transport anyway. The more
   difficult issue is the left side (lo[CUT]

   <JcK> which, once one moves off not-very-restricted ASCII (a
   letter-digit-hyphen restriction has _never_ been valid and some
   web implementations thinking it is has been the source of huge
   problems), the only current protocol restriction is valid
   UTF-8.

   addison: some is not sent to group repository, or some are in
   pending

   r12a: it might be better to add once needs-resolurion is filed
   against group

   addison: this is a list which we think we are thinking

   r12a: one example, link to our tracker isue, #193 for
   Vocab-duv, which points to email thread

   ACTION: addison: triage the linked issues in #1579 into active
   vs. non-active

   <trackbot> Created ACTION-1205 - Triage the linked issues in
   #1579 into active vs. non-active [on Addison Phillips - due
   2022-09-22].

   r12a: wondering why this is in our list, also spec is in active
   and raised against there?

   r12a: one reason we gather links here, is other groups could
   check what are going

   addison: I've pull this list from existing one, but will make
   sure all of these have a right link
   … also move else to separate list
   … or file pending issues

   r12a: web shareone, #248, is closed, but w3cbot acts illegular?
   … need to takeout these

   addison: update.

   r12a: thank you for doing this, really useful
   … do you need needs-resolution label for parent tracker issue?

  i18n-glossary edits

   <addison> [18]https://aphillips.github.io/i18n-glossary/

     [18] https://aphillips.github.io/i18n-glossary/

   addison: have action item to add two into glossaly
   … having same feeling as Richard's comment, and added notes

   r12a: see also links are not in the same format as others

   [linking issue]

   r12a: I cannot see how these will fit in our normal text

   addison: will update

   r12a: in one paragraph is format here

   addison: no local.css here, but in the html file
   … used inline for character code style as our normal
   … will take the most maintained one as glossary's local style
   … I think header spacing is different, or something
   … in some future, we could have one local.css, but not sure how
   echidna would work

   r12a: gap-analysis documents have ones, and when you run the
   process, building page, and JS will take files

   addison: we can have as link, and also take them as a file via
   echidna

   r12a: ideal idea for local.css is just to have definitions
   relevant to specific document
   … in addition, i18n general styling css file could be possible
   … and local.css can overload like heading spacing

   addison: jump into local.css and split something into i18n CSS
   and others as local.css

   [discussed what to do]

   ACTION: richard: create i18n CSS from local.css and do other
   related work (see notes)

   <trackbot> Created ACTION-1206 - Create i18n css from local.css
   and do other related work (see notes) [on Richard Ishida - due
   2022-09-22].

   addison: will introduce update, and Richard can push PR against

   <r12a> <span class="codepoint" translate="no"><bdi lang="ar"
   dir="rtl">&#x0681;</bdi> [<span class="uname">U+0681 ARABIC
   LETTER HAH WITH HAMZA ABOVE</span>]</span>

   [styling of rtl part]

   [way to copy from character picker]

   <addison> r12a.github.io/pickers <- as a reminder

   <r12a> [19]https://r12a.github.io/pickers/arab-ar/index.html

     [19] https://r12a.github.io/pickers/arab-ar/index.html

   <r12a> click on Character Markup

   addison: will clean up edits, and commit these
   … and pass ACTION

   bert: on stylesheet, restriction exists in echidna, for
   external styles

   r12a: for gap-analysis document, only one stylesheet, but
   contents are integrated to output

  What's coming tomorrow with CSS folks

   r12a: wanted to know what will be for tomorrow, and would
   prepare

   addison: all labelled as agenda+ for TPAC

   <JcK> I'm going to need to drop off but have very little to add
   to CSS discussions anyway. And, unless it is moved, I have a
   schedule conflict for next week, so will see you in two.

   <r12a> [20]https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/
   issues?q=is%3Aissue+is%3Aopen+tpac

     [20] https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues?q=is:issue+is:open+tpac

   <addison> [21]https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/
   issues?q=is%3Aissue+is%3Aopen+label%3A%22Agenda%2B+TPAC%22+labe
   l%3Ai18n-needs-resolution

     [21] https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues?q=is:issue+is:open+label:"Agenda++TPAC"+label:i18n-needs-resolution

   <addison> [22]https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/
   issues?q=is%3Aissue+is%3Aopen+label%3A%22Agenda%2B+TPAC%22+labe
   l%3Ai18n-tracker

     [22] https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues?q=is:issue+is:open+label:"Agenda++TPAC"+label:i18n-tracker

   addison: most of these were discussed during a few past days
   … ideal to have list of agenda
   … we can do two per an hour, if go as usual

   r12a: one pended for Friday?

   addison: flow-relative syntax in tracker?

   r12a: to add one, auto-spacing from text-spacing?

   <r12a> [23]https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/7183

     [23] https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/7183

   <addison> @fantasai: which specific issues should we expect to
   discuss with CSS

   r12a: added agenda+ TPAC label ^^

   r12a: will change one for flow relative attributes

   addison: trim-end and text-normal?

   r12a: haven't raised, not in agreement where to go

   [assessment on issues]

   addison: will drop in email

   addison: meeting will be from 10:30am Vancouver

   <r12a> kʰai̯ tʰi

   <r12a> [24]https://r12a.github.io/app-pinyin-phonetics/
   index.html

     [24] https://r12a.github.io/app-pinyin-phonetics/index.html

   <r12a> s/Erika/Elika/

   <addison> close action-1190

   <trackbot> Closed action-1190.

  AOB?

Summary of action items

    1. [25]addison: triage the linked issues in #1579 into active
       vs. non-active
    2. [26]richard: create i18n CSS from local.css and do other
       related work (see notes)
Received on Tuesday, 20 September 2022 11:38:25 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.4.0 : Tuesday, 20 September 2022 11:38:25 UTC