[minutes] Internationalization telecon 2022-05-12


            Internationalization Working Group Teleconference

12 May 2022

    [2]Agenda. [3]IRC log.

       [2] https://www.w3.org/events/meetings/83b1d2d3-7389-437a-b0d5-32441827a9a3/20220512T150000
       [3] https://www.w3.org/2022/05/12-i18n-irc


           addison, Atsushi, Bert, David, Erik, Felix, Fuqiao, JcK,


           Addison Phillips

           addison, xfq


     1. [4]Agenda Review
     2. [5]Action Items
     3. [6]Info Share
     4. [7]RADAR Review
     5. [8]Personalization
     6. [9]WSGL identifier comparison
     7. [10]Pull-Request on specdev
     8. [11]DOMException localizability
     9. [12]Changes to specdev checklists
    10. [13]AOB?
    11. [14]Summary of action items

Meeting minutes

   Agenda Review

   Action Items

    <addison> [15]https://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/

      [15] https://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/open

    <JcK> Richard: thanks. I've already beaten the current crew up
    with most of that

    addison: I've started to work on the timezone note
    … I think I want to retire the time zone proposal action item
    … will work on backwards deletion soon

    close ACTION-437

    <trackbot> Closed ACTION-437.

    close ACTION-1140

    <trackbot> Closed ACTION-1140.

    Bert: Proposed text with r12a, haven't responded to issue #996

    close ACTION-1143

    <trackbot> Closed ACTION-1143.

    close ACTION-1144

    <trackbot> Closed ACTION-1144.

    <r12a> close ACTION-1142

    <trackbot> Closed ACTION-1142.

    close ACTION-1145

    <trackbot> Closed ACTION-1145.

    close ACTION-1146

    <trackbot> Closed ACTION-1146.

    close ACTION-1147

    <trackbot> Closed ACTION-1147.

    close ACTION-1148

    <trackbot> Closed ACTION-1148.

    <r12a> [16]https://www.w3.org/International/i18n-drafts/

      [16] https://www.w3.org/International/i18n-drafts/techniques/shortchecklist

    close ACTION-1149

    <trackbot> Closed ACTION-1149.

    close ACTION-1150

    <trackbot> Closed ACTION-1150.

   Info Share

    r12a: I was a little concerned because our meeting agenda will
    go to the public list instead of the member list
    … I sent an email to vivien
    … he said the public list is db-backed
    … Mark Davis is on the member list but not the public list, but
    I suspect that's because he's one of the people who don't want
    to received lots of emails
    … there's no way to change where the agenda should go to
    … if we want to schedule something we don't want other people
    to know about, and we dont' want to send it to public, but that
    doesn't seem to occur anyway
    … so i don't think there's any way we can do anything

    addison: the public list gets all of our digest

    r12a: all of our actions also go to the public list anyway

    <r12a> [17]https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/

      [17] https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/member-i18n-core/

    r12a: i'm looking at the member list, not a lot of things other
    than agenda+
    … and regrets

    r12a: the public list doesn't have more subscribers than the
    member list
    … the subscribers are mostly the same
    … there isn't really anything we can do about it
    … the only thing we can do is to use the member list less


      [18] https://www.w3.org/2002/09/wbs/1/LogisticsTPAC2022/

    xfq: we'd like the Groups to answer the survey on Group
    attendance at TPAC by the end of this month

    ACTION: addison: fill in TPAC logistics survey

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-1151 - Fill in tpac logistics survey
    [on Addison Phillips - due 2022-05-19].


      [19] https://github.com/w3c/TPAC2022-Health-rules

    xfq: health rules ^

   RADAR Review

    r12a: I got an email from @@ about all kinds of counter styles

    <addison> [20]https://github.com/w3c/i18n-request/projects/1

      [20] https://github.com/w3c/i18n-request/projects/1

    addison: two incoming requests

    addison: Web Neural Network API and MiniApp Lifecycle
    … atsushi to review WebNN
    … addison and Bert to review MiniApp Lifecycle

    atsushi: did not find anything else except the existing pending

    addison: any objections on moving CSS Custom Highlight API
    Module Level 1 to completed?




      [21] https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/labels/s:personalization-semantics-content


      [22] https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/issues/878

    fuqiao: they are moving towards CR


      [23] https://github.com/w3c/personalization-semantics/issues/141

    fuqiao: all four issues raised by addison
    … they closed this issue, believe it is fixed


      [24] https://github.com/w3c/personalization-semantics/issues/144

    fuqiao: can close

    addison: no objection


      [25] https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/issues/876

    (close, recycle)


      [26] https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/issues/874


      [27] https://w3c.github.io/personalization-semantics/content/#values-1

    addison: they are duplicating a list from html, others have

    David: I think it's bad form but sometimes people need to say
    "exactly this" like WCAG x.x or HTML x.x

    David: also think it is bad form, but working in an environment
    where required to do "exactly X"

    addison: any objections on accepting this?


      [28] https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/issues/873

    xfq: close this

   WSGL identifier comparison


      [29] https://github.com/gpuweb/gpuweb/issues/2828


      [30] https://gpuweb.github.io/gpuweb/wgsl/#identifier-comparison

    fuqiao: they already copied our green box from specdev
    … that lgtm
    … the other is to use 'idential to' or 'is' from Infra
    … but they chose not to use deliberately because Infra uses
    code units
    … but they want to use code points

    addison: effectively the same thing

    Two WGSL identifiers are the same if and only if they consist
    of the same sequence of code points.

    addison: the second note is still kind of scary

    r12a: it's in a note so I'm assuming this is just a suggestion

    addison: their definition of homographs is weird
    … i think they need to say something like visually the same or
    visually confusable

    r12a: but i think that might be a separate issue

    addison: could be

    addison: are we good?

    xfq: for this issue we are satisfied and can close the tracker,

    addison: yeah

   Pull-Request on specdev


      [31] https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/member-i18n-core/2022May/0002.html


      [32] https://github.com/w3c/bp-i18n-specdev/pull/65

    addison: thank you for your suggestions, r12a
    … they're very helpful

    r12a: had to retrofit all of your changes to the new version

    addison: any objections on the changes I made?


   DOMException localizability

   Changes to specdev checklists

    <r12a> [33]https://w3c.github.io/bp-i18n-specdev/#ghChecklist

      [33] https://w3c.github.io/bp-i18n-specdev/#ghChecklist

    [r12a shares his screen]

    r12a: i made big changes to the specdev checklist
    … for three reasons
    … 1. the checklist is too long
    … need a more effcient way
    … basically what they say to do a checklist, you go to the
    section which is relevant
    … most of the specs are relevant to language and direction but
    nothing else
    … before we had to click all the section headings
    … now we need only click once
    … you don't have to click on two checkboxes, you only need to
    click the second one if it's relevant and you have fixed it
    … we can get away from the wiki
    … we can do a short checklist and a long checklist in a github
    … all on the same page now
    … you couldn't change check marks on the wiki

    David: language and direction are pretty much relevant to every
    spec and we can make it checked by default

    r12a: ok, thank you
    … it's actually less work than before
    … previously you couldn't see the wood for the trees
    … the short list says "also check the long list"

    addison: we're doing away from the short checklist?

    r12a: no
    … you go through the short checklist to find which is relevant
    … then you go through the long checklist to check the details

    addison: I think the short checklist doesn't refer to every
    section in specdev

    r12a: yes
    … because it's short

    Bert: the button that generates the markdown
    … why not generate the button automatically?

    <Zakim> Bert, you wanted to suggest that the ‘generate markup’
    button can be replaced with an automatically updating function.

    r12a: yes

    Bert: people might forget to click the button again after
    changing the checkboxes

    r12a: i'm starting to think maybe we should start copying the
    character model to specdev

    <Bert> (Not a fan of pages opening in a new tab/window, unless
    I do that myself with a right-click. I often do not notice that
    a tab opened and then get confused why the back button doesn't

    r12a: will do experiment on section 4.1

    addison: charmod has grown old

    r12a: readability improvement and the opportunity to update the


Summary of action items

     1. [34]addison: fill in TPAC logistics survey

Received on Thursday, 12 May 2022 17:57:10 UTC