W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > www-international@w3.org > October to December 2021

[minutes] Internationalization telecon 2021-10-26

From: r12a <ishida@w3.org>
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2021 17:30:12 +0100
To: www-international@w3.org
Message-ID: <04f52c55-7fa5-2f9f-2779-e3046de5877a@w3.org>
https://www.w3.org/2021/10/26-i18n-minutes.html








– DRAFT –
                    Internationalization WG TPAC 2021

26 October 2021

    [2]Agenda. [3]IRC log.

       [2] https://www.w3.org/wiki/I18N_2021_TPAC
       [3] https://www.w3.org/2021/10/26-i18n-irc

Attendees

    Present
           Addison, Atsushi, Cassondra, Fuqiao, Makoto, MURATA_,
           Myles, Najib, Richard

    Regrets
           -

    Chair
           Addison Phillips

    Scribe
           addison, xfq

Contents

     1. [4]Action Items
     2. [5]Info Share
     3. [6]Review Radar
     4. [7]EPUB Review
     5. [8]Web Payments
     6. [9]CSS
     7. [10]Discuss outcome of WP meeting

Meeting minutes

    addison: we don't have a super deep agenda for today
    … meeting with Web Payments
    … i have a couple of agenda+
    … IFT, EPUB
    … we could do today or Thursday

    r12a: let's do today
    … i think we need to also talk about what we want to talk about
    with css tomorrow

    addison: SPC

    addison: they want to resolve the FO
    … I think they think they have a resolution at hand

   Action Items

    <addison> [11]https://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/
    open

      [11] https://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/open

    addison: 1017 is getting stale

    addison: did 1034, need some time to review that
    … did 1063 a while ago

    r12a: did 1066
    … renamed the label
    … to match the document name

    <r12a> [12]https://w3c.github.io/i18n-activity/
    reviews/#pronunciation-gap-analysis-and-use-cases

      [12] https://w3c.github.io/i18n-activity/reviews/#pronunciation-gap-analysis-and-use-cases

    atsushi: did 1073

    addison: think we did 1078
    … did 1084 last Friday
    … effectively the outcome is that we're going to prepare an I-D
    … the three of us each have pieces in there
    … URL references to language tags
    … which can be used in semantic web

    r12a: did 1087

    r12a: did 1088

    r12a: did 1089

    <Najib> I can hear you

    <Najib> no matter live transcript

    [Discuss Live Transcript issue]

    [13]On Saving Automated Meeting Transcripts

      [13] https://www.w3.org/Guide/meetings/transcripts.html

    <r12a> [14]https://web-eur.cvent.com/hub/events/
    2b77fe3d-2536-467d-b71b-969b2e6419b5/sessions

      [14] https://web-eur.cvent.com/hub/events/2b77fe3d-2536-467d-b71b-969b2e6419b5/sessions

   Info Share

   Review Radar

    <addison> [15]https://github.com/w3c/i18n-request/projects/1

      [15] https://github.com/w3c/i18n-request/projects/1

    addison: no new requests

    <addison> [16]https://github.com/w3c/i18n-request/issues/88

      [16] https://github.com/w3c/i18n-request/issues/88

    r12a: "JSON LD WG self review" is with a "close?" label
    … let's close it

    r12a: [17]https://github.com/w3c/i18n-request/issues/25 should
    be moved over

      [17] https://github.com/w3c/i18n-request/issues/25

    addison: done

    addison: we're going to meet with coga folks on Thursday
    … we can look at coga issues
    … could add it to the agenda
    … move it to Completed on Thursday if we can

   EPUB Review

    <r12a> [18]https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/
    issues?q=is%3Aopen+is%3Aissue+label%3As%3Aepub+label%3Aneeds-re
    solution

      [18] https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/issues?q=is:open+is:issue+label:s:epub+label:needs-resolution

    [19]https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/issues/1382

      [19] https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/issues/1382

    r12a: +1 to close 1382

    <xfq> [20]https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/issues/1381

      [20] https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/issues/1381

    xfq: added a reference to charmod-norm to say that filenames
    must be unicode canonical norm and full case folding

    richard: agree it should be closed

    addison: +1

    <xfq> [21]https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/issues/1380

      [21] https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/issues/1380

    xfq: saw two new comments today, one from richard and one from
    matt
    … about character restrictions

    <xfq> [22]https://w3c.github.io/epub-specs/epub33/
    core/#sec-container-filenames

      [22] https://w3c.github.io/epub-specs/epub33/core/#sec-container-filenames

    xfq: they changed to text to include all non- characters

    addison: never is a long time: don't think they should limit
    valid characters

    richard: no actual restrictions except for 32 characters

    <r12a> [23]https://w3c.github.io/epub-specs/epub33/
    core/#sec-container-filenames

      [23] https://w3c.github.io/epub-specs/epub33/core/#sec-container-filenames

    addison: think disallowing tag characters is a problem
    … if characters are not a problem in file systems either is a
    barrier to users or ends up with reqs being ignored

    close 1380, open new issues

    <xfq> [24]https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/issues/1355

      [24] https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/issues/1355

    xfq: they have name attribute, IDL. they said it's only used as
    identifier

    <xfq> [25]https://github.com/w3c/epub-specs/issues/1633

      [25] https://github.com/w3c/epub-specs/issues/1633

    addison: is it true?
    … could be okay with it

    <xfq> [26]https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/issues/1354

      [26] https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/issues/1354

    close 1355

    xfq: length of path and file names
    … propose close, they added text

    addison: lgtm

    <xfq> [27]https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/issues/1353

      [27] https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/issues/1353

    xfq: encoding of css files
    … why UTF-16 was mentioned?
    … was historical stuff
    … new text: UTF-8 is recommended, can choose either UTF

   Web Payments

    <r12a> [28]https://w3c.github.io/secure-payment-confirmation/

      [28] https://w3c.github.io/secure-payment-confirmation/

    <addison> [29]https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/
    issues?q=is%3Aissue+is%3Aopen++label%3As%3Asecure-payment-confi
    rmation+

      [29] https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/issues?q=is:issue+is:open++label:s:secure-payment-confirmation+

    addison: three pending and one tracker

    <addison> [30]https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/issues/1413

      [30] https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/issues/1413

    r12a: i suspect this is the sort of thing that they all want to
    discuss

    <addison> [31]https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/issues/1412

      [31] https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/issues/1412

    r12a: maybe we can discuss this in the joint meeting to get
    more informed feedback

    addison: 1412
    … it has natural language text string but with no language and
    direction metadata

    <addison> [32]https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/issues/1411

      [32] https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/issues/1411

    r12a: most of the strings are USVStrings, but this one is
    DOMString
    … don't know why they treat them differently

    dictionary PaymentCredentialInstrument {

    required DOMString displayName;

    required USVString icon;

    };

    r12a: they can get the language and direction from the html
    page they're embedded?

    addison: it's an externally supplied piece of information

    <r12a> [33]https://github.com/w3c/secure-payment-confirmation/
    issues/93#issuecomment-923145826

      [33] https://github.com/w3c/secure-payment-confirmation/issues/93#issuecomment-923145826

    addison: the heart of all this is do we think natural language
    text need language and direction metadata all the time
    … introducing new structure could break things, i understand
    that
    … but for new things should we add metadata or not?

    r12a: i think we should add metadata

   CSS

    <r12a> [34]https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/projects/24

      [34] https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/projects/24

    [35]https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/member-i18n-core/
    2021Sep/0013.html

      [35] https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/member-i18n-core/2021Sep/0013.html

    <r12a> [36]https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/projects/24

      [36] https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/projects/24

    <r12a> [37]https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/
    4910#issuecomment-619342561

      [37] https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/4910#issuecomment-619342561

    r12a: Order of discussion

    addison: font fingerprinting issue is important
    … and generic font family issue

    r12a: fallback @@
    … different generic styles for different scripts
    … there's the question of , how do you make that work

    r12a: i think that also addresses the issue "What does fangsong
    map to for non chinese"
    … and "Specify what generic font family maps to nastaliq"
    … for flow-relative syntax for margin-like shorthands, we're
    very closed to the solution

    r12a: about #6319, the color one, it's only marginally involved
    in i18n
    … i don't think we should spend too much time on it unless we
    have loads of time left over

    r12a: i'm generally kind of wary of talking about ruby because
    it is a huge sinkhole

   Discuss outcome of WP meeting

    addison: i think that was the right outcome
    … if we solve it in TC 39, it will be a long conversation

    r12a: could we change it to something like internationalized
    string?
    … People might misunderstand the name localizable

    addison: people will type it in definitions

    [Discuss the naming]

    addison: we don't mean localization, we mean adding metadata to
    strings we already have

    r12a: i think you're right

    <r12a> ... that we need to push on for a solution of the
    lang/dir string thing

    addison: do we need to do other things, like do an explainer?

    addison: meet with CSS tomorrow

    r12a: we need to read these threads again

    addison: will send an email to Murata-san
Received on Tuesday, 26 October 2021 16:30:19 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.4.0 : Tuesday, 26 October 2021 16:30:20 UTC