[minutes] Internationalization telecon 2021-09-23


            Internationalization Working Group Teleconference

23 September 2021

    [2]Agenda. [3]IRC log.

       [2] https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/member-i18n-core/2021Sep/0022.html
       [3] https://www.w3.org/2021/09/23-i18n-irc


           Addison, Atsushi, Bert, Fuqiao, JcK, Richard


           Addison Phillips



     1. [4]Agenda Review
     2. [5]Action Items
     3. [6]Info Share
     4. [7]RADAR Review
     5. [8]Rechartering
     6. [9]Localizable and metadata in DOMException et al
     7. [10]AOB?
     8. [11]Summary of action items

Meeting minutes

    <addison> trackbot, prepare teleconference

   Agenda Review

    addison: anything to add?

   Action Items

    <addison> [12]https://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/

      [12] https://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/open

    <addison> action-1048?

    <trackbot> [13]action-1048: Addison Phillips to Create PR on
    webauthn with new metadata proposal -- due 2021-07-21 -- OPEN

      [13] https://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/1048

    <addison> close action-1048

    <trackbot> Closed action-1048.

    addison: did 1048, replaced rader

    <addison> action-1051?

    <trackbot> [14]action-1051: Addison Phillips to File issues
    about domexception against webidl to add metadata and to
    provide for localizability -- due 2021-07-22 -- OPEN

      [14] https://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/1051

    addison: 1051, filed issues, there is a discussion in the issue
    … it seems we may not get what we have asked, added as agendum

    <addison> close action-1051

    <trackbot> Closed action-1051.

    <addison> action-1077?

    <trackbot> [15]action-1077: Addison Phillips to Ping ian about
    joint meeting during tpac in re: secure payment confirmation --
    due 2021-09-16 -- OPEN

      [15] https://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/1077

    <addison> close action-1077

    <trackbot> Closed action-1077.

    <addison> action-1078?

    <trackbot> [16]action-1078: Addison Phillips to Review
    payment-request issues -- due 2021-09-16 -- OPEN

      [16] https://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/1078

    addison: did 1077, and have a time and date by email

    addison: did 1078, closed number of them, and pointed a list
    for discussion

    addison: 1079, could not attend call yesterday, and have not
    updated at the issue

    <addison> action-1081?

    <trackbot> [17]action-1081: Richard Ishida to Proofread the
    uax50 letter from citpc -- due 2021-09-23 -- OPEN

      [17] https://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/1081

    richard: the latest one was the same as the wiki


      [18] https://github.com/w3c/jlreq/pull/305/files


      [19] https://github.com/himorin/jlreq/blob/uax50-reformat/docs/uax-with-aj1/Request-to-revise-UAX-50-for-the-harmonization-with-Adobe-Japan1.md

    atsushi: forgot to merge PR for the final draft.

    richard: will check

    <addison> action-1082?

    <trackbot> [20]action-1082: Addison Phillips to Establish tpac
    agenda page and put our various meetings with other groups
    there also -- due 2021-09-23 -- OPEN

      [20] https://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/1082

    <addison> [21]https://www.w3.org/wiki/I18N_2021_TPAC

      [21] https://www.w3.org/wiki/I18N_2021_TPAC

    addison: did 1082, on wiki

    <addison> close action-1082

    <trackbot> Closed action-1082.

   Info Share

    addison: bookmark the wiki page if you need to have

    addison: any info share?

    xfq: HR tracker bot had stopped a several days ago, and already
    reported, will work normally shortly

    jck: how about ping to unicode?

    addison: in my actions, email discussion held with Felix
    … we already have a registry for subtags, the concern is nobody
    haven't touched the relevant RFCs

    jck: one could write a note to point this as a registry
    … I could work.
    … my concern is that we ended up and IETF would not take,
    resulting to have two registries
    … let me take a time to write lines, to explain above

    Action: JcK: write the ADs about creating language subtag URL

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-1083 - Write the ads about creating
    language subtag url reference [on John Klensin - due

    addison: two kind of references, one for subtag, harder thing
    is a reference to language tags, simply a list of urls
    … language tags are harder, additional stuffs could be there

    jck: a proposal, making normative reference in W3C which we can

    addison: I will see what they would say, including on BCP47

    richard: developed something on Khashmiri
    … unicode standard is not clearly state on this script
    … compound is not well supported
    … could use similar script although.

    <r12a> [22]https://r12a.github.io/pickers/arab-ks/

      [22] https://r12a.github.io/pickers/arab-ks/

    richard: discussed with colleagues working on this, and updated
    character picker page

    [richard explains some usages]

    richard: with check! button, you could see lines of recommended
    and not
    … I will extend this check capability to other scripts

    richard: we should put into i18n checker first

   RADAR Review

    <addison> [23]https://github.com/w3c/i18n-request/projects/1

      [23] https://github.com/w3c/i18n-request/projects/1

    addison: no new incoming
    … SPC, have some time, also we have some issue raised


    richard: new charters went to AC, 31 responses, no request of
    change, couple of people to thank us
    … approved this week
    … we will be rechartering from Oct/1st
    … everybody need to rejoin!

    richard: no impact on IG

   Localizable and metadata in DOMException et al

    <addison> [24]https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/

      [24] https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/issues?q=is:issue+is:open+label:s:webidl

    addison: I created pending issues, since repository is in
    personeal's repository
    … so, note, this actually not track the issue

    <addison> [25]https://github.com/heycam/webidl/issues/1024

      [25] https://github.com/heycam/webidl/issues/1024

    addison: we are talking with WebIDL, that we want to request
    localizable DOMException
    … JS exception does not have such capability, so redirected to

    addison: some spec use message in their data, and proposed to
    have some guideline text
    … answer was mostly no
    … since these messages are mostly only used by developers
    … so, still open to get comments

    richard: key thing here, is the people stop writing user
    readerble text but use code, and user could use localized text
    for display

    addison: if one have natural language text without direction,
    could not be displayed correctly

    addison: if there is no type in WebIDL for localizable message
    … DOMException have some unused attributes, like message
    (natural language string), challange is these could be used to
    show in user interface

    <addison> [26]https://github.com/heycam/webidl/issues/1025

      [26] https://github.com/heycam/webidl/issues/1025

    addison: most important one for us is localizable type

    <r12a> dictionary NotificationOptions {

    <r12a> NotificationDirection dir = "auto";

    <r12a> DOMString lang = "";

    <r12a> DOMString body = "";

    <r12a> DOMString tag = "";

    <r12a> USVString image;

    <r12a> USVString icon;

    <r12a> USVString badge;

    <r12a> VibratePattern vibrate;

    <r12a> DOMTimeStamp timestamp;

    <r12a> boolean renotify = false;

    <r12a> boolean silent = false;

    <r12a> boolean requireInteraction = false;

    <r12a> any data = null;

    <r12a> sequence<NotificationAction> actions = [];

    <r12a> };

    <addison> [27]https://notifications.spec.whatwg.org/

      [27] https://notifications.spec.whatwg.org/

    addison: my preference is to build a package that could be used
    by specs
    … with a reference to the document

    <r12a> The notification’s language specifies the primary
    language for the notification’s title, body and the title of
    each of its actions.

    addison: my preference is to have a localizable type, which
    could be directly used from IDL in specs

    <addison> [28]https://github.com/heycam/webidl/issues/1023

      [28] https://github.com/heycam/webidl/issues/1023

    addison: our most specific issue 1023, DOMException does not do
    … if we decide that DOMException is not localizable, this will
    … pending label is to follow our process, we haven't discussed
    this in group yet

    richard: +1 to remove pending

    addison: feel free to scribe to these issues and to add


    addison: SPC to next week

    xfq: changed color of webidl label on tracker repository

Summary of action items

     1. [29]JcK: write the ADs about creating language subtag URL

Received on Thursday, 23 September 2021 15:39:31 UTC