[minutes] Internationalization telecon 2021-08-26


  – DRAFT –
            Internationalization Working Group Teleconference

26 August 2021

    [2]Agenda. [3]IRC log.

       [2] https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/member-i18n-core/2021Aug/0011.html
       [3] https://www.w3.org/2021/08/26-i18n-irc


           Addison, Atsushi, David, Felix, fsasaki, Fuqiao


           Addison Phillips



     1. [4]Agenda Review
     2. [5]Action Items
     3. [6]Info Share
     4. [7]RADAR Review
     5. [8]TPAC group update/tech demo
     6. [9]webAuthn follow-up
     7. [10]AOB?
     8. [11]Summary of action items

Meeting minutes

    <addison> trackbot, prepare teleconference

   Agenda Review

    addison: seek agenda from call participants

    xfq: TPAC group meeting

    addison: should discuss on that also

   Action Items

    <addison> [12]https://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/

      [12] https://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/open

    addison: couple of issues in backlog

    addison: @@@1 assigned to me

    richard: will find a pointer on this and send

    addison: 1048, agenda item later

    <addison> action-1055?

    <trackbot> [13]action-1055: Addison Phillips to Publish
    localizable-manifests as fpwd with help from richard -- due
    2021-08-05 -- OPEN

      [13] https://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/1055

    <addison> close action-1055

    <trackbot> Closed action-1055.

    addison: 1055, published

    <addison> action-1060?

    <trackbot> [14]action-1060: Atsushi Shimono to Follow up on
    citpc/jltf request to utc about 4 characters and bring doc for
    review by wg when ready -- due 2021-08-26 -- OPEN

      [14] https://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/1060

    addison: 1060, for letter to unicode

    richard: would try to reply to the email from Kida-san next

    addison: need to discuss as a group

    richard: had a look at this, but haven't had time to reply
    … will reply to Kida-san that we would like to have a chance to
    review, and after review we should clarify that this was
    developed by a W3C group
    … not quite sure whether we need formal arrangements for a dual

    addison: preference was not to do joint, and have a group as a

    richard: 1062, on going

    felix: 1064, send related question to the list

    addison: remember we've worked on that but forgot detail

    Action: addison: follow up on previous action related to
    language tag registry online

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-1067 - Follow up on previous action
    related to language tag registry online [on Addison Phillips -
    due 2021-09-02].

    <addison> action-1065?

    <trackbot> [15]action-1065: Addison Phillips to Ping a11y to
    see if they intend to progress low-vision-needs -- due
    2021-08-26 -- OPEN

      [15] https://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/1065

    <addison> close action-1065

    <trackbot> Closed action-1065.

    addison: 1065, email sent, and got responce to the list

   Info Share

    <r12a> [16]https://github.com/guybedford/proposal-is-usv-string

      [16] https://github.com/guybedford/proposal-is-usv-string

    richard: someone proposing a JavaScript method that checks for
    isolated surrogate characters

   RADAR Review

    <addison> [17]https://github.com/w3c/i18n-request/projects/1

      [17] https://github.com/w3c/i18n-request/projects/1

    addison: no incoming que, one open - html snapshot
    … anything new but we have outstanding issues on that

    addison: in another week, will finish

    <r12a> [18]https://www.w3.org/TR/2021/

      [18] https://www.w3.org/TR/2021/WD-virtual-keyboard-20210824/

    richard: I'm also looking into new FPWD document on virtual
    … the only thing I'm not sure they need to say is depending on
    direction of text, not sure whether it is need

    addison: CSS environment variables, they may calculate

    richard: there may be something, not sure for sideways

    addison: boxes could move whether rtl or ltr

    addison: if you move onscreen keyboard, something is required
    … will try to have a chance to look on this

   TPAC group update/tech demo

    addison: email forwared is plenary stuff, on group updates or
    technical demo
    … few i18n demo in my pocket, but could be boring
    … if we jump out that, we need to decide on i18n group call, to
    be listed into registration page

    richard: no preference

    addison: we scheduled calls separated from this slot, to
    welcome chunk of meetings, could follow that also this year

    richard: +1

    addison: can choose slots, and can send out

    richard: there is two windows in TPAC, and can select one
    … there is several hours slot, and can select one or two hours.
    if we agreed to have longer call, we can have something later

    addison: pick options and send email

    Action: addison: put "foot in the door" for TPAC and survey
    group for days/times

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-1068 - Put "foot in the door" for
    tpac and survey group for days/times [on Addison Phillips - due

    addison: for group update or videos?

    xfq: not for gorup update nor video, but joint group meetings?
    … for examples, miniapps WG discussed TPAC plans, one was
    manifest issue including i18n issues
    … i18n WG may also be interested on that area

    addison: we can offer joint meeting if it is desired
    … did with HTML or CSS

    richard: that's why we need to decide time, and WGs could pick
    from these slots
    … hope xfq can help addison on coordination

    Action: addison: ping chairs for TPAC cross meetings

    addison: send an offer from me to the WG?

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-1069 - Ping chairs for tpac cross
    meetings [on Addison Phillips - due 2021-09-02].

    addison: follow up with xfq offline

   webAuthn follow-up

    <addison> [19]https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/

      [19] https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/member-i18n-core/2021Aug/0017.html

    addison: I was on WebAuthn call yesterday, creating very
    strange seriarization on natural string, and had discussion
    with them, raised PR from agreement on last one
    … but got strange answer, so get into call yesterday again.
    … I've brought options to them, discussed, and proposed to
    raise new PR before their next teleconf in two week.
    … for process, moving it to REC could be difficult, with
    … one option is to have metadata in data fields, another is
    create new mysterias seriarization scheme than they currently
    … using ascii character instead of unicode language
    specification character
    … like JSON-LD on the end of the string

    richard: removing existing lines is good idea, and replacing is
    a good idea too
    … it seems second point will take some long time

    addison: for three field is already exists
    … no3 could be a little faster than others
    … open to push no2 - the right solution
    … one option is removing bytes and introducing something
    codable characters, not sure will fit within existing bytes

    richard: some examples could be helpful?
    … we are dealing with string containing data
    … adding metadata could be longer
    … we have fixed length string, so we can not just add metadata

    addison: challange is fixed size structure for this than, and
    asking increasing each size
    … looking BCP47, longest non-extension and tag field is 35

    [discussion on how to fit in short fixed size field]

    richard: the other thing, the language has this direction by
    default, but we need to eat more if will use different

    addison: credentials is normally email address etc., but could
    contain natural language-ed text
    … if that is the only string in the document, we can just use
    one metadata over document

    addison: additional field makes total size larger, and hard for
    small storage authentication tag

    richard: space constraints seems to be something important, all
    the bytes need for string as metadata need to fit within
    … serialization at the end of the string could be one of

    richard: difference, data is the same whether including
    metadata - BCP r/l

    addison: difference among three, another field, possible

    richard: another issue, where truncation is taken
    … if truncated after metadata added, all gone

    addison: concern is on wire or during storage
    … stored values with truncation could not be recovered

    addison: if we want to introduce in-string serialization, one
    is ascii serialization in JSON-LD, adding language and
    direction at the end of string, like three @-signs

    richard: if there is a size limit, starting with metadata could

    <addison> [20]https://www.w3.org/TR/json-ld/#the-i18n-namespace

      [20] https://www.w3.org/TR/json-ld/#the-i18n-namespace

    addison: just replacing 4byte value to ascii, can save some

    felix: json-ld seems to rely on RDF 1.1. for the definition of
    language tagged strings 1.1

    addison: will work on proposal with deeper discussion and

    <fsasaki> [see this reference from the json-ld spec to
    rdf11-concepts/#dfn-language-tagged-string ]

      [21] https://www.w3.org/TR/rdf11-concepts/#dfn-language-tagged-string

    richard: if you could find some examples, that's nice

    addison: reminder, Peter joining calls, on string truncation


    addison: can resume discussion on strings and metadata next

Summary of action items

     1. [22]addison: follow up on previous action related to
        language tag registry online
     2. [23]addison: put "foot in the door" for TPAC and survey
        group for days/times
     3. [24]addison: ping chairs for TPAC cross meetings

     Minutes manually created (not a transcript), formatted by
     [25]scribe.perl version 136 (Thu May 27 13:50:24 2021 UTC).

      [25] https://w3c.github.io/scribe2/scribedoc.html

Received on Thursday, 26 August 2021 15:26:02 UTC