[minutes] Internationalization telecon 2021-08-05


            Internationalization Working Group Teleconference

05 August 2021

    [2]Agenda. [3]IRC log.

       [2] https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/member-i18n-core/2021Aug/0000.html
       [3] https://www.w3.org/2021/08/05-i18n-irc


           addison, atsushi, Bert, Felix, Fuqiao, Richard


           Addison Phillips



     1. [4]Agenda Review
     2. [5]Action Items
     3. [6]Info Share
     4. [7]RADAR Review
     5. [8]RADAR Review
     6. [9]Ok to merge Charmod-norm PR ?
     7. [10]Updates to an article
     8. [11]"Awaiting Comment Resolution" reviews
     9. [12]AOB?
    10. [13]Summary of action items

Meeting minutes

    <addison> trackbot, prepare teleconference

   Agenda Review

   Action Items

    <addison> [14]https://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/

      [14] https://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/open

    addison: not working on string meta at the moment
    … need to wrap up 1017


    <trackbot> [15]action-1034: Addison Phillips to Triage awaiting
    comment resolution items -- due 2021-06-24 -- OPEN

      [15] https://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/1034

    addison: ongoing


    <trackbot> [16]action-1039: Richard Ishida to Propose pr for
    https://github.com/whatwg/html/issues/4814 -- due 2021-07-01 --

      [16] https://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/1039

    richard: ongoing


    <trackbot> [17]action-1048: Addison Phillips to Create PR on
    webauthn with new metadata proposal -- due 2021-07-21 -- OPEN

      [17] https://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/1048

    addison: ongoing
    … they asked me back to their telco, next week
    … will start prototyping the text


    <trackbot> [18]action-1050: Addison Phillips to Merge
    string-meta changes pending richard's review of the glossary
    changes -- due 2021-07-22 -- OPEN

      [18] https://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/1050

    addison: is the glossary updated?

    richard: yes

    addison: I will then merge my stuff


    <trackbot> [19]action-1051: Addison Phillips to File issues
    about domexception against webidl to add metadata and to
    provide for localizability -- due 2021-07-22 -- OPEN

      [19] https://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/1051

    addision: tbd


    <trackbot> [20]action-1052: Richard Ishida to Investigate
    glossary linking solutions, e.g. marcos's -- due 2021-07-29 --

      [20] https://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/1052

    richard: ongoing, but OK to close

    <addison> close action-1052

    <trackbot> Closed action-1052.


    <trackbot> [21]action-1053: Richard Ishida to Make pr for
    charmod-norm with proposed additions to mustard and
    organizational updates to section 3.2 -- due 2021-07-29 -- OPEN

      [21] https://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/1053

    addison: that is the agenda+, ok to close this

    <addison> close action-1053

    <trackbot> Closed action-1053.


    <trackbot> [22]action-1054: Addison Phillips to Notify that dom
    review completed with no new issues (outstanding issues remain
    open for future work) -- due 2021-08-05 -- OPEN

      [22] https://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/1054

    addison: done

    <addison> close action-1054

    <trackbot> Closed action-1054.


    <trackbot> [23]action-1054: Addison Phillips to Notify that dom
    review completed with no new issues (outstanding issues remain
    open for future work) -- due 2021-08-05 -- CLOSED

      [23] https://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/1054

    addison: need help from Richard to work on this, will discuss

    richard: start with the guide

    addison: will do
    … do we need to do trans req?

    richard: yes

    xfq: do you want to send this to wide review after publication?

    addison: will discuss this as a group
    … but we want to get this into TR space


    <trackbot> [24]action-1056: Richard Ishida to Publish the
    paragraph direction definition -- due 2021-08-05 -- OPEN

      [24] https://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/1056

    <addison> close action-1056

    <trackbot> Closed action-1056.

    richard: done


    <trackbot> [25]action-1057: Richard Ishida to Add more
    information about using left/right as well as start/end -- due
    2021-08-05 -- OPEN

      [25] https://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/1057

    richard: done

    <addison> close action-1057

    <trackbot> Closed action-1057.

    richard: I did edit in HTML and CSS authoring guidelines and
    other docs

   Info Share

    richard: new charters will start on October 1st
    … request for review to AC will be sent out soon

   RADAR Review

    richard: more infoshare .. had telco with Apple folks, who are
    involved in language enablement
    … going to be working with Miles more to pick things for the
    safari folks to work on
    … if you have a preference for things to be fixed sooner than
    later, let me know
    … they seemed happy with the progress made

    addison: any areas you want to focus on?

    richard: I made a shortlist of things specific to safari, just
    my personal point of view

    <r12a> ---

    richard: see here:

    <r12a> - [ ] Customised counter styles are unavailable

      [26] https://github.com/w3c/iip/issues/93

    <r12a> - [ ] Support for isolating formatting characters
    lacking [27]https://github.com/w3c/afrlreq/issues/10

      [27] https://github.com/w3c/afrlreq/issues/10

    <r12a> - [ ] CSS writing-modes 4, sideways values not
    implemented [28]https://github.com/w3c/eurlreq/issues/11

      [28] https://github.com/w3c/eurlreq/issues/11

    <r12a> - [ ] Logical keyword support for shortcuts [29]https://

      [29] https://github.com/w3c/alreq/issues/217

    <r12a> - [ ] Q element produces incorrect quotation marks when
    language changes [30]https://github.com/w3c/eurlreq/issues/22

      [30] https://github.com/w3c/eurlreq/issues/22

    <r12a> - [ ] In-page search fails on ruby-annotated text

      [31] https://github.com/w3c/jlreq/issues/255

    <r12a> - [ ] Poor level of support for vertical form controls

      [32] https://github.com/w3c/clreq/issues/247

    <r12a> - [ ] Mongolian support badly broken [33]https://

      [33] https://github.com/w3c/mlreq/issues/39

    <r12a> ---

    addison: a really good list!

    richard: around ruby, many things are going on
    … elika and florian are trying to push ruby into HTML
    … everybody wants ruby to be fixed asap

    xfq: my question was related not only to bopomofo, but general
    … chris and I have been discussing blocking issues in CSS
    … these involve also some I18N issues

    richard: plh is pushing as well, asking if I18N can do
    … we have done a lot, suggesting methods to address the issues
    … things are now with Chris to get things moving
    … there is two issues:
    … font fingerprinting, and generic fallbacks

    xfq: and ruby

    richard: yes
    … important to pay attention if stuff starts moving again

   RADAR Review

    <addison> [34]https://github.com/w3c/i18n-request/projects/1

      [34] https://github.com/w3c/i18n-request/projects/1

    addison: css masking

    xfq: will take a look

    richard: chris did a self review, you may want to look at that
    … masking spec may have issues related to text direction

    xfq: yes, potential issues

   Ok to merge Charmod-norm PR ?

    <r12a> [35]https://github.com/w3c/charmod-norm/pull/217

      [35] https://github.com/w3c/charmod-norm/pull/217

    addison: goal is to review this and to publish all accumulated
    updates to TR

    richard: I need a reminder on this, e.g. an action

    addison: any comments on the changes?

    <r12a> [36]https://pr-preview.s3.amazonaws.com/w3c/

      [36] https://pr-preview.s3.amazonaws.com/w3c/charmod-norm/pull/217.html#performNorm

    no comments

    addison: any objections to publish this?

    Action: richard: merge pr217 and publish charmod-norm to TR

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-1058 - Merge pr217 and publish
    charmod-norm to tr [on Richard Ishida - due 2021-08-12].

   Updates to an article

    <addison> [37]https://w3c.github.io/i18n-drafts/articles/

      [37] https://w3c.github.io/i18n-drafts/articles/typography/justification.en#sea

    richard: previous version of section was very short
    … now it is more detailed, repurposes stuff from other articles

    addison: looks good to me


    <xfq> +1

    Action: richard: publish update to typography article

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-1059 - Publish update to typography
    article [on Richard Ishida - due 2021-08-12].

    <r12a> Approaches to full justification

   "Awaiting Comment Resolution" reviews

    addison: we have a long list of items
    … links to issue sets are in the agenda
    … some issues we need to look at, or say "otherwise"

    <addison> [38]https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/

      [38] https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/issues?q=is:issue+is:open+label:s:tracking-dnt

    addison: first is tracking dnt, see above link

    felix: group is closed?

    richard: yes, and the doc has become a note

    bert: anybody will answer our comments, so will we archive this
    until there is a group to answer?

    richard: agree
    … we close it and put a "recycle" label on it, so that we can
    resurrect it later

    addison: doc is a note, WG is closed, so what is the state of
    the review? We are unsatisfied?

    richard: nobody will worry about the status from the transition
    point of view
    … "recylce" means: "closed" but not resolved, from our

    addison: OK with "recycle" label and close

    addison added the label and closed the issue

    <addison> [39]https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/

      [39] https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/issues?q=is:issue+is:open+label:s:push-api

    addison: moving to push api

    discussion of what labels to add to tracking-dnt

    addison: push-api is simpler, both issues are marked for

    <xfq> [40]https://www.w3.org/TR/push-api/

      [40] https://www.w3.org/TR/push-api/

    document is a WD

    richard: are we satisfied?

    richard: atsushi, do you remember whether the PR fixed the

    addison: the pull request does not seem to talk about the topic
    of the issue
    … but indirectly fixes the issue
    … I think that they have addressed the issue
    … any objections against closing?

    no objections

    addison: moving to the next issue
    … question is whether a health warning is required

    richard: the FFFE characters are the health warning
    … that is why it does not fall over
    … you get something

    addison: there is nothing saying "if you send non utf-8, it
    will not work"
    … there is a lot of discussions about byte sequences

    richard: I thought that non utf-8 stuff will be decoded to
    … and if something goes wrong, we get an error situation

    addison: if you have bytes which are text, and not utf-8
    … you need an array buffer and then decode yourself

    richard: that is what their code does

    <addison> [41]https://www.w3.org/TR/

      [41] https://www.w3.org/TR/push-api/#pushmessagedata-interface

    addison: correct

    addison: that is an interface to get the content of the push
    … if you want to read the message as text, the message needs to
    be utf-8
    … should we bring this to the top of their list again?

    richard: this is about their text method

    addison: you take the bytes, and use "utf-8 decode" to generate
    a unicode string
    … you return the unicode string as a value

    richard: they say that issues are handled by the "utf 8 decode"

    addison: that is ok
    … I am just saying there should be a health warning that this
    depends on the data to be in utf-8
    … if you have other encodings, the "text" methods will not
    handle the encoding conversion
    … should I make a separate comment?

    richard: yes, and close this one

    <addison> addison: completed?

    <addison> richard: with a new issue probably not?

    <atsushi> +1 for new one..


Summary of action items

     1. [42]richard: merge pr217 and publish charmod-norm to TR
     2. [43]richard: publish update to typography article

Received on Thursday, 5 August 2021 16:18:05 UTC