W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > www-international@w3.org > July to September 2021

[minutes] Internationalization telecon 2021-07-29

From: r12a <ishida@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2021 16:16:48 +0100
To: www-international@w3.org
Message-ID: <2efa3a78-377f-0d74-4f6b-14f28baf5754@w3.org>
https://www.w3.org/2021/07/29-i18n-minutes.html







– DRAFT –
            Internationalization Working Group Teleconference

29 July 2021

    [2]Agenda. [3]IRC log.

       [2] https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/member-i18n-core/2021Jul/0032.html
       [3] https://www.w3.org/2021/07/29-i18n-irc

Attendees

    Present
           addison, Atsushi, Bert, Felix, Fuqiao, JcK, Richard

    Regrets
           -

    Chair
           Addison Phillips

    Scribe
           atsushi

Contents

     1. [4]Agenda Review
     2. [5]Action Items
     3. [6]Info Share
     4. [7]RADAR Review
     5. [8]Localizable Manifests FPWD?
     6. [9]paragraph direction in glossary
     7. [10]geolocation
     8. [11]Updates to HTML/CSS techniques and an article
     9. [12]"Awaiting Comment Resolution" reviews
    10. [13]AOB?
    11. [14]Summary of action items
    12. [15]Summary of resolutions

Meeting minutes

    <addison> trackbot, prepare teleconference

   Agenda Review

   Action Items

    <addison> [16]https://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/
    open

      [16] https://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/open

    addison: jump into action items, couple of documentation items

    <addison> action-1031?

    <trackbot> [17]action-1031: Addison Phillips to Document the
    state of payment-request -- due 2021-06-03 -- OPEN

      [17] https://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/1031

    <addison> close action-1031

    <trackbot> Closed action-1031.

    addison: 1031 done while ago
    … 1048 create to WebAuthn, get another email from Wendy, and
    will have a call next week

    <addison> action-1049?

    <trackbot> [18]action-1049: Addison Phillips to Close open
    completed reviews -- due 2021-07-22 -- OPEN

      [18] https://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/1049

    <addison> close action-1049

    <trackbot> Closed action-1049.

    addison: 1049 I did

    <addison> action-1050?

    <trackbot> [19]action-1050: Addison Phillips to Merge
    string-meta changes pending richard's review of the glossary
    changes -- due 2021-07-22 -- OPEN

      [19] https://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/1050

    r12a: 1050 want to raise review from group on proposed change

    addison: added as agenda

    <addison> action-1052?

    <trackbot> [20]action-1052: Richard Ishida to Investigate
    glossary linking solutions, e.g. marcos's -- due 2021-07-29 --
    OPEN

      [20] https://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/1052

    r12a: 1052 investigation on going

   Info Share

   RADAR Review

    <addison> [21]https://github.com/w3c/i18n-request/projects/1

      [21] https://github.com/w3c/i18n-request/projects/1

    addison: no new incoming
    … xfq done DOM, is there anything review there

    xfq: I've took a look, and found any issue about the changes to
    the last review draft
    … remaining two open issues

    <xfq__> [22]https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/
    issues?q=is%3Aopen+is%3Aissue+label%3As%3Adom

      [22] https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/issues?q=is:open+is:issue+label:s:dom

    xfq: seems not a blocker for release

    addison: move to completed (no objection from attendee)
    … will take an action to notify the WG

    Action: addison: notify that DOM review completed with no new
    issues (outstanding issues remain open for future work)

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-1054 - Notify that dom review
    completed with no new issues (outstanding issues remain open
    for future work) [on Addison Phillips - due 2021-08-05].

   Localizable Manifests FPWD?

    addison: we have a repo, in a position to add references
    … a bit work to be done before publication on documents
    … do we put this into /TR/ now?

    <addison> move to publish localizable-manifest as FPWD

    <addison> +1

    <fsasaki> +1

    +1

    <xfq__> +1

    <r12a> 0

    <Bert> +1

    <JcK> 0 -- I have no competence to have an opinion about this

    r12a: haven't looked much, so 0

    addison: it's just a FPWD

    <addison> [23]https://w3c.github.io/localizable-manifests/

      [23] https://w3c.github.io/localizable-manifests/

    Resolution: publish localizable-manifests as a first public
    working draft

    r12a: that's why not -1 but 0

    addison: who to take an action?
    … I will

    Action: addison: publish localizable-manifests as FPWD with
    help from richard

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-1055 - Publish localizable-manifests
    as fpwd with help from richard [on Addison Phillips - due
    2021-08-05].

    <xfq__> [24]https://github.com/w3c/localizable-manifests/
    issues/5

      [24] https://github.com/w3c/localizable-manifests/issues/5

    xfq: Several common approaches are currently listed in the
    document. Should we recommend one of them?

    addison: there are several approaches on this,
    … some recommendations could be here, but not as must
    … PR and/or suggestions are welcome

   paragraph direction in glossary

    addison: let's jump into this quickly

    <addison> [25]https://aphillips.github.io/
    string-meta/#dfn-paragraph-direction

      [25] https://aphillips.github.io/string-meta/#dfn-paragraph-direction

    addison: after discussion, we've learned on dir for paragraph
    or block of text

    <r12a> [26]https://github.com/w3c/i18n-glossary/pull/5/files

      [26] https://github.com/w3c/i18n-glossary/pull/5/files

    addison: PR raised to move some text into glossary, for
    proposed definition

   geolocation

    Action: richard to publish the paragraph direction definition

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-1056 - Publish the paragraph
    direction definition [on Richard Ishida - due 2021-08-05].

    <xfq__> [27]https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/issues/941

      [27] https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/issues/941

    xfq: we have one open tracker issue, on error message

    <xfq__> [28]https://github.com/w3c/geolocation-api/issues/50

      [28] https://github.com/w3c/geolocation-api/issues/50

    xfq: Marcos has closed WG issue, and also filed into WebIDL
    issue
    … I'd want to ask whether it is ok to close tracker issue on
    geolocation, as CR-blocker

    addison: what's the current text?

    <xfq__> [29]https://w3c.github.io/
    geolocation-api/#position_error_interface

      [29] https://w3c.github.io/geolocation-api/#position_error_interface

    xfq: this subsection, added note as don't show this message to
    user interface etc.

    <r12a> seems ok to me

    <r12a> basically, this is debugging comments

    +1

    <addison> [30]https://w3c.github.io/
    geolocation-api/#message-attribute

      [30] https://w3c.github.io/geolocation-api/#message-attribute

    addison: don't think any additional is needed
    … also WebIDL might be fixed near future

    Resolution: close the issue

   Updates to HTML/CSS techniques and an article

    <r12a> [31]https://www.w3.org/International/techniques/
    authoring-html

      [31] https://www.w3.org/International/techniques/authoring-html

    r12a: changed styling last week, introduced selecter

    <r12a> [32]https://www.w3.org/International/techniques/
    authoring-html#liststyle

      [32] https://www.w3.org/International/techniques/authoring-html#liststyle

    r12a: this link points to styling counter part
    … link to article in MDN, and they link back to our
    counter-style collection

    <r12a> [33]https://w3c.github.io/i18n-drafts/techniques/
    authoring-html.en#liststyle

      [33] https://w3c.github.io/i18n-drafts/techniques/authoring-html.en#liststyle

    r12a: links to MDN can introduce readers on how-to documents,
    and no need to be included into here

    addison: looks good to me

    felix: listing do-s, but not don't-s?

    r12a: by default no don't-s, but if there is any preference...

    jck: consistency is more important

    <r12a> [34]https://github.com/mdn/content/issues/7295

      [34] https://github.com/mdn/content/issues/7295

    r12a: sounds like no strong push back, go as is

    <r12a> [35]https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/CSS/
    text-align

      [35] https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/CSS/text-align

    r12a: another point is text-align start/end value
    … how these work on left alignment and right alignment et.c

    bert: majority of people use no more than two language, and use
    left/right in existing ones

    r12a: most of people who don't use start/end, on porting into
    another language they will get issues
    … also I have never feel difficult to understand other logical
    properties
    … like for vertical writing, logical could work automatically
    … could happen something like translated contents

    bert: two issues, want to tell left as left, I don't feel most
    of people need to use these

    r12a: considering translator, using left and right have context
    and it could lead difficulty to handle text

    jck: that should be a mixed problem

    r12a: you also need to think about page layout, in arabic book
    or vertical book

    addison: for Bert's point, if you are preparing a page for
    specific language, using left/right could be an issue on
    usability
    … for my task, using in another language, left vs start could
    have some harm
    … in general, super agreement on logical keyword should be used
    … another hand, most developer's reaction could be using left
    is easily understandable

    r12a: we are about to offer advice, if they don't want follow
    it should be fine
    … personally I feel writing an advice is helpful

    r12a: CSS writing techniques document is different from spec

    Action: Richard to add more information about using left/right
    as well as start/end

    addison: first, any action item we need to take on this topic?

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-1057 - Add more information about
    using left/right as well as start/end [on Richard Ishida - due
    2021-08-05].

   "Awaiting Comment Resolution" reviews

    addison: number of items here, I've proposed to close

    <addison> [36]https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/
    member-i18n-core/2021Jul/0032.html

      [36] https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/member-i18n-core/2021Jul/0032.html

    addison: in the list in agenda email

    addison: more time to review these?
    … next week to start with these by working through?

    r12a: +1

   AOB?

Summary of action items

     1. [37]addison: notify that DOM review completed with no new
        issues (outstanding issues remain open for future work)
     2. [38]addison: publish localizable-manifests as FPWD with
        help from richard
     3. [39]richard to publish the paragraph direction definition
     4. [40]Richard to add more information about using left/right
        as well as start/end

Summary of resolutions

     1. [41]publish localizable-manifests as a first public working
        draft
     2. [42]close the issue
Received on Thursday, 29 July 2021 15:16:58 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.4.0 : Thursday, 29 July 2021 15:16:59 UTC