W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > www-international@w3.org > July to September 2021

[minutes] Internationalization telecon 2021-07-15

From: r12a <ishida@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2021 16:33:35 +0100
To: www-international@w3.org
Message-ID: <e17f6766-1212-fe9a-5db3-e0f89e189a4a@w3.org>
https://www.w3.org/2021/07/15-i18n-minutes.html












– DRAFT –
            Internationalization Working Group Teleconference

15 July 2021

    [2]Agenda. [3]IRC log.

       [2] https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/member-i18n-core/2021Jul/0016.html
       [3] https://www.w3.org/2021/07/15-i18n-irc

Attendees

    Present
           Addison, Atsushi, Bert, David, Fuqiao, JcK, Peter,
           Richard

    Regrets
           Felix

    Chair
           Addison Phillips

    Scribe
           addison, xfq

Contents

     1. [4]Agenda Review
     2. [5]Action Items
     3. [6]Info Share
     4. [7]RADAR Review
     5. [8]Web Authentication Update
     6. [9]String-Meta PR for Unicode tag characters
     7. [10]DOMException localizability
     8. [11]localizable-manifests
     9. [12]AOB?
    10. [13]Summary of action items

Meeting minutes

    trackbot, prepare teleconference

   Agenda Review

    addison: anything to add to the agenda?

   Action Items

    [14]https://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/open

      [14] https://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/open

    addison: one of our issues is related to backwards deletion

    action-1034?

    <trackbot> [15]action-1034: Addison Phillips to Triage awaiting
    comment resolution items -- due 2021-06-24 -- OPEN

      [15] https://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/1034

    action-1038?

    <trackbot> [16]action-1038: Richard Ishida to Create repo for
    developing-localizable-manifests -- due 2021-07-01 -- OPEN

      [16] https://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/1038

    close action-1038

    <trackbot> Closed action-1038.

    action-1042?

    <trackbot> [17]action-1042: Addison Phillips to Remind members
    to review techniques/authoring-html-new for next telecon -- due
    2021-07-08 -- OPEN

      [17] https://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/1042

    close action-1042

    <trackbot> Closed action-1042.

    action-1044?

    <trackbot> [18]action-1044: Addison Phillips to Contact plh
    about webauthn issues and how to handle them -- due 2021-07-08
    -- OPEN

      [18] https://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/1044

    close action-1044

    <trackbot> Closed action-1044.

    action-1045?

    <trackbot> [19]action-1045: Addison Phillips to Draft issues on
    webauth#sctn-strings-langdir -- due 2021-07-08 -- OPEN

      [19] https://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/1045

    close action-1045

    <trackbot> Closed action-1045.

    action-1046?

    <trackbot> [20]action-1046: Addison Phillips to Add mustard
    warning against unicode language tag characters to string-meta
    -- due 2021-07-15 -- OPEN

      [20] https://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/1046

    close action-1046

    <trackbot> Closed action-1046.

    action-1047?

    <trackbot> [21]action-1047: Addison Phillips to File issues
    against webauthn and ping plh when complete -- due 2021-07-15
    -- OPEN

      [21] https://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/1047

    close action-1047

    <trackbot> Closed action-1047.

   Info Share

    fuqiao: google docs will move from html rendering to
    canvas-based rendering
    … made a new text rendering engine vs. using content-editable
    … includes complex text layout (bidi, etc. etc.)
    … complex features developed at W3C will be reimplemented?

    [22]https://workspaceupdates.googleblog.com/2021/05/
    Google-Docs-Canvas-Based-Rendering-Update.html

      [22] https://workspaceupdates.googleblog.com/2021/05/Google-Docs-Canvas-Based-Rendering-Update.html

    fuqiao: tencent docs also did this; made a preso about how they
    implemented a11y features

   RADAR Review

    [23]https://github.com/w3c/i18n-request/projects/1

      [23] https://github.com/w3c/i18n-request/projects/1

    <r12a> [24]https://github.com/w3c/htmlwg/issues/17

      [24] https://github.com/w3c/htmlwg/issues/17

    r12a: looked at the i18n issues they pointed out

    addison: we're building up a number of "Completed"
    … do we want to close them?

    r12a: we see open and closed issues in the Completed column
    … the 'close?' tag is no longer relevant when the issue is
    moved to Completed

    addison: the action is somebody should go through the Completed
    column and close the issues

    Action: addison: close open completed reviews

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-1049 - Close open completed reviews
    [on Addison Phillips - due 2021-07-22].

   Web Authentication Update

    addison: I attended the web authentication meeting
    … they will immediately remove the section we're unhappy with
    … i18n WG will contribute a PR
    … we talked about a few things
    … there are some limitations
    … i'm currently holding the action to write the PR
    … we will review the PR in this group before we send it to web
    authentication

    r12a: well done

    addison: a couple of people understand the importance of i18n
    support

   String-Meta PR for Unicode tag characters

    [25]https://github.com/w3c/string-meta/pull/56

      [25] https://github.com/w3c/string-meta/pull/56

    [26]https://github.com/aphillips/string-meta

      [26] https://github.com/aphillips/string-meta

    [27]https://aphillips.github.io/string-meta/

      [27] https://aphillips.github.io/string-meta/

    [28]https://aphillips.github.io/
    string-meta/#bp_unicode_tag_chars_nonuse

      [28] https://aphillips.github.io/string-meta/#bp_unicode_tag_chars_nonuse

    [29]https://aphillips.github.io/string-meta/#unicodeTags

      [29] https://aphillips.github.io/string-meta/#unicodeTags

    r12a: typo: langauge

    r12a: otherwise looks good to me

    addison: made the glossary cleaner, consistent
    … re-arranged the order

    JcK: not just in W3C, but also in IETF and Unicode Consortium

    [Unicode] says that the "... use of tag characters to convey
    language tags is strongly discouraged" and that the use of the
    character U+E0001 LANGUAGE TAG is strongly discouraged. The
    only current use of characters in this block of Unicode is to
    form various flag emoji.

    addison: Unicode says that the use of tag characters to convey
    language tags is strongly discouraged

    r12a: i'll be inclined to omit the last sentence

    addison: any objection on removing that sentence?

    Peter: in § 5.3.3 it says "Unicode tag characters are strongly
    deprecated by the Unicode Consortium"
    … they only say "strongly discouraged" instead of "strongly
    deprecated"

    r12a: "deprecated" and "discourage" do not mean the same thing
    in W3C too

    Use of Unicode tag characters for language identification are
    strongly discouraged by the Unicode Consortium (and thus
    deprecated).

    JcK: +1

    Peter: +1

    <David> +1

    Action: addison: merge string-meta changes pending richard's
    review of the glossary changes

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-1050 - Merge string-meta changes
    pending richard's review of the glossary changes [on Addison
    Phillips - due 2021-07-22].

   DOMException localizability

    [30]https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/member-i18n-core/
    2021Jul/0011.html

      [30] https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/member-i18n-core/2021Jul/0011.html

    addison: localization of exceptions

    [31]https://github.com/heycam/webidl/issues/996

      [31] https://github.com/heycam/webidl/issues/996

    addison: I tend to think we should make exceptions localizable
    … how do we want to address this?

    <Peter> Unicode deprecation of language tagging: [32]http://
    www.unicode.org/versions/Unicode13.0.0/ch23.pdf#G30427

      [32] http://www.unicode.org/versions/Unicode13.0.0/ch23.pdf#G30427

    <atsushi> [33]https://heycam.github.io/webidl/#idl-DOMException

      [33] https://heycam.github.io/webidl/#idl-DOMException

    <r12a> [34]https://heycam.github.io/webidl/

      [34] https://heycam.github.io/webidl/

    (and in TR at [35]https://www.w3.org/TR/
    WebIDL/#idl-DOMException)

      [35] https://www.w3.org/TR/WebIDL/#idl-DOMException)

    addison: should we file the equivalent comment for Geolocation
    to Web IDL?

    r12a: language and direction, right?

    addison: that's right

    xfq: should we add metadata to the interface?
    … as optional attributes?

    addison: preferably not optional

    "present but optional"

    addison: the field should be there, but the value can be
    optional

    [36]https://github.com/w3c/geolocation-api/issues/
    50#issuecomment-828626695

      [36] https://github.com/w3c/geolocation-api/issues/50#issuecomment-828626695

    <r12a> [37]https://github.com/heycam/webidl/issues/996

      [37] https://github.com/heycam/webidl/issues/996

    r12a: do we create a new issue or do we extend the issue marcos
    filed?

    addison: I think it's better to file separate specific issues

    Action: addison: file issues about DOMException against WebIDL
    to add metadata and to provide for localizability

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-1051 - File issues about domexception
    against webidl to add metadata and to provide for
    localizability [on Addison Phillips - due 2021-07-22].

   localizable-manifests

    put to top in next week

   AOB?

    r12a: wrote a report on the i18n sponsorship program

Summary of action items

     1. [38]addison: close open completed reviews
     2. [39]addison: merge string-meta changes pending richard's
        review of the glossary changes
     3. [40]addison: file issues about DOMException against WebIDL
        to add metadata and to provide for localizability
Received on Thursday, 15 July 2021 15:33:41 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.4.0 : Thursday, 15 July 2021 15:33:42 UTC